Important posture question

Viking Siren

I started belly dancing using Neena and Veena's "Basic Moves" DVD because the pace looked like something I could handle. But I could tell that I was doing something wrong because my knees were hurting. I don't think there are any teachers in my area--I live in a small town and I don't do very well in live classes unless they are private sessions. So I got Jenna's "Basics and Beyond" DVD because I read that it's as close as a DVD can get to a live class, and I know part of it deals with proper posture and technique in order to avoid injury.

I haven't looked at the DVD yet, but I do know that it's important to keep the feet under the hip bones. Here's my question: how do you tell if your feet are under the hip bones or not? In other forms of dance I've tried, you know you're in the right position when you can bend your knees and not see your feet, but that doesn't seem to work with belly dancing. Can someone please explain it to me?

Shanazel

You lost me on that one. Feet under the hipbones? I do tell my students to keep their knees aligned with their feet in order to prevent twisting a knee.

Viking Siren

For some reason, I seem to remember someone saying that--an instructor in a DVD somewhere. I don't know where it came from. But it doesn't answer my question: how can I tell when I'm aligned properly, knees with the feet or otherwise? I want to know before I get started again so I don't hurt myself.

Shanazel

What I mean is: when you bend your knees, your kneecaps should remain in line with your toes and not be aimed away to the side or knocking inward.

That being said, proper posture is something the vast majority of students need to be shown repeatedly by someone who can physically position them if necessary. As you have discovered, a little knowledge gleaned from dvds is not enough to prevent injury. You might consider classes with a teacher who can at least see you via computer screen. I don't know if Darshiva takes beginner online students but you could ask. Farasha speaks highly of her.

Viking Siren

That helps some. Thanks. I got Jenna's DVD because it's probably as close as I'm going to get to a live class. The DVDs I was using before didn't have any instruction on posture at all.

I don't think online classes would help. The only webcam I have is on my tablet, and it's very difficult for me to position it properly even when I'm just trying to focus it on my face. Someone might be teaching at my local community center, but my town is so small that it's tough to find classes that teach something other than the conventional ballet, tap, jazz or modern.

Kashmir

Sounds like my basic beginner posture - hip bones (the inside bit where they meet the pelvis not the outer hip), knees and feet in a vertical line. In effect your legs go straight up and down. There may be some variation if your pelvis is very wide or if you have big thighs. Just adjust as need be. You check with a mirror - an absolutely vital piece of equipment ESPECIALLY if you are not attending a live class. Practicing bad technique just grinds in bad technique.

Also check your knees are soft - not locked ie you always have a little bit of bend. Further, you need to keep knees over toes and soft knees when moving.

Good luck.

Darshiva

For some reason, I seem to remember someone saying that--an instructor in a DVD somewhere. I don't know where it came from. But it doesn't answer my question: how can I tell when I'm aligned properly, knees with the feet or otherwise? I want to know before I get started again so I don't hurt myself.

It's okay if you're not interested in skype classes, but I thought you should know that I do take on beginners via skype, and that Farasha has been using a tablet for the entire time she has been studying with me, with fantastic results.