Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default using dvds

When using dvds, the pause button is your friend. As is the button that starts a section over. You have to realize that the makers of the dvd are trying to give value for your money so that people are not disappointed in their purchase. Just because the dvd moves on at a certain pace does NOT mean that you do! Take it as you learn it. Use those buttons on the remote. Keep courage. Keep faith. Keep practicing. Even if you never get to where you can keep up with a class, keep studying and learning. Belly dance can be done solo or with groups. If you can't do groups, you are a solo dancer. Study at your own pace. The offers of the teachers here are excellent. Use those offers to your advantage. When you dance alone, the focus is solely on you, so you need to have confidence and skill. Perhaps you may learn to keep up with a class, perhaps you won't. I would advise to take classes anyway. You will learn whether or not you "keep up". If you love the dance, keep studying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Siren View Post
    I just worked with Jenna's DVD for the first time. The reviews I read on Amazon were really stellar, so I thought I'd try it.

I was wrong. When one section is finished, it immediately goes on to the next one--not back to the menu so you can choose what to work on, as I was led to believe. There is no cool down listed on the menu, and I couldn't keep up with her half the time. The warmup used all kinds of hand/arm/hip combinations that were too advanced for me, and the welcome section said that "you can complete the warmup without knowing a single bellydance step." Bullhockey!

I barely made it through the section on shoulder isolations before I had to stop. I'm still choking back tears. This is why I can't take any kind of dance classes--I can't keep up with a group, and I can't keep up with a teacher! She just goes too fast--I'm trying to get used to one movement and she's already moving on to the next one.

I know there is a practice section, but they're all lumped into "upper body basics," "lower body basics," and so forth. I want to practice one thing at a time, not rush through it on her terms.

I feel so cheated and like I wasted my money. I can't remember the last time I felt this bad.
    I have this DVD and I know what you are talking about but stay with it because it's really good and really challenging. Also, when I got stuck on something, I paused it and redid it until I was ready to move on. I also had to do the whole DVD over and over a few times. Others have "faster moving" videos too; Amar Gamal's is fast moving, but again, I would pause and redo the movements til I got it.

Now at this point in my dance life, what at one time took me six weeks to learn now takes me practically no time at all. You will be like this too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    Now at this point in my dance life, what at one time took me six weeks to learn now takes me practically no time at all. You will be like this too.
    You know, you're right. I never learned how to do a 4/4 shimmy traveling worth a darn, and it wasn't really emphasized by most of my teachers, we all did the various 3/4 shimmies of which I've become decent enough at most of them.

My current teacher is all about 4/4 shimmies while traveling - and I'm actually starting to get them, which is a heck of a lot faster than I ever got anything else. I still feel awkward and a bit clumsy doing them, but they're coming - well enough that when my teacher told me to "stop doing that 3/4 shimmy in this part of the choreography!", that I was actually able to do the 4/4 traveling instead, just for her "benefit"! As there isn't supposed to be a shimmy of any sort at that particular time, she threatened to throw things at me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    My current teacher is all about 4/4 shimmies while traveling - and I'm actually starting to get them, which is a heck of a lot faster than I ever got anything else.
    Oh, dear, I have just "met" the 4/4 shimmy while traveling a few short weeks ago and they are... something else. I bow to thee, Zorba!

While trying to do the 4/4, I thought it was funny that the 3/4 has become my fallback traveling shimmy, especially since my instructor, the same one who taught the 3/4 in my first class some, ahem, years ago, ascertained that I finally "got it" - presumably for good - no earlier than this spring...

Sidenote: I could swear I had "gotten it" before, sometime in the first year, but I suspect that adding pounds to a body, combined with lots of worrying about it, can affect timing and proprioception.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilya View Post
    Oh, dear, I have just "met" the 4/4 shimmy while traveling a few short weeks ago and they are... something else.
    Drive 'em with your obliques!

Post Thanks / Like

What Zorba said is true. Funnily for me, I got 3/4 shimmies immediately but mayas took me five years. So go with what you know real well and just dazzle them!

Post Thanks / Like

It took me a year and a half to get the Maia - my male hips were locked out of side-to-side movement, I had to break them loose first!

The standard standing 4/4 shimmy took something like 10 friggin' years, and it still gives me problems from time-to-time. It was mainly hearing "the right thing" from "the right teacher" that finally got me over the hump. I needed to learn the what/where of my obliques, driving them exclusively from the knees or glutes doesn't work well for me. I need to at least pay attention to my obliques as well, if not out-and-out drive them from there, which is the key to traveling with a 4/4 (for me, at least).

3/4s were somewhere inbetween. I remember practicing them in very slow motion (using my obliques now that I think about it) and getting them down in a few months. What I call the "Twist down 3/4" took me longer, but I use it fairly often now as I think its the most beautiful of all shimmies. My teacher here calls that one the "Hozallah" shimmy or some-such, a term I never heard in California.
    Last edited by Zorba; 08-25-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Viking Siren, are you still around?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    My teacher here calls that one the "Hozallah" shimmy or some-such, a term I never heard in California.
    I just received a PM from a dance sister who informs me the correct spelling is "Hagallah" - and I'm hoping she'll join us here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12