The weather around the world 2016

lilya

Northern Alberta, Canada - after an unusual winter with only a few days below -20 C, the spring had an early May above 30 C and very dry (which favoured a massive forest fire around Fort McMurray, city of ~80,000 evacuated safely). The summer was pretty "classic", not really returning much to the vicinity of 30. But then October had barely started when snow came and settled for a few days, so we felt a bit shortchanged on fall. Hopefully the coming winter is not looking to avenge the previous one...

Daimona

We have recently had some lovely days of snow giving us a hint of white Christmas, but currently most of the snow where I live is gone.
It started raining a couple of days ago - a lot.
The combination of melting snow and heavy rain have caused several small landslides the past 12 hours. A number of roads are closed, several villages are isolated, the railroads are closed and some roads nearby rivers have also been flooded. No serious injuries so far, but it was close when a train getting of its track due to a minor landslide and debris this morning. There have also been some minor landslides running between houses. I wouldn't dare living in those areas.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Wow. That's not good, Dai. California had plenty of landslides back when I lived there and still does, thanks largely to people building in unsuitable areas and wildfires denuding slopes. I always wondered what made someone look at a 30 degree slope and think, "Hey, I'll build my house here."

We have snow on the ground, more coming down, and 26 degrees F. Hope this is over and done by next week. We want to go to Colorado for my daughter's graduation from the police academy. The following week, she and I are flying to the gulf coast for the holidays... assuming the weather cooperates. Traveling in December in the Rocky Mts. is challenging.

Last edited:

Ariadne

No that's not good. Lets hope there continues to be no serious injuries.

Winter is definitely here. The high today was 60 F and it is only going down. Nights are between 27-37 F. That may not be cold elsewhere but we are freezing.

Shanazel

14 degrees F and falling. Wind about 10 mph. I have been sitting in front of the wood stove ever since I got home.

lilya

We've just gotten the Arctic air here too :(. I was expecting it on Monday, as the forecast said, so my nice and short Sunday bike ride was done half above 0 C with a clear-ish sky, half in falling, freezing wind-blown snow. I was curious to see what -17 ("feels like -31") C is in F... 1.4. Nice, so this is how it feels to be in an ice-brine solution. (On the other hand, we did get >15 C/59 F in mid-November... I do remember that being quite cold in a more humid environment, here it's surprisingly balmy, dry air and all.) Stay warm, Northern hemispherians!

Last edited:

Ariadne

I was curious to see what -17 ("feels like -31") C is in F... 1.4. Nice, so this is how it feels to be in an ice-brine solution.

I remember what that was like when I spent a winter in the Okanagan. Have you had hoarfrost yet this year?

Shanazel

When I walked into the museum this morning, it was negative 20 F. That was an improvement from the negative 33 overnight low. It is sunny and still as it ever gets in this part of the world.

We had our belly dance end of semester/holiday party at my house last night and bless their hearts, all but two students trundled in despite the frigid conditions. One missing student had ballet tickets and the other lives 45 minutes from town so had to head home due to bad roads slowing her trip down. Tonight is dress rehearsal, tomorrow performance. We're going to have to do khaleeji again next semester along with the planned saiidi- if only so everyone can wear the costumes again!!!

lilya

I remember what that was like when I spent a winter in the Okanagan. Have you had hoarfrost yet this year?
Oh, that must have been so beautiful! I'm still getting used again to the deceiving winter sun, sometimes it gets fairy-tale-ishly pretty outside but still brrr.

We've had hoarfrost! I actually learned the word a few days ago, right before the cold streak, asking for this thing on the trees' name in English. :) I don't think I've noticed it before (in 10 years of this climate... or maybe it's just too dry here during the fall-winter transition - in fact, the changes in temperature themselves are often quite abrupt. )

lilya

negative 33 overnight low
:shok: You got there so quickly after 14 F merely days ago! We're not there (yet?), even with the windchill...

We had our belly dance end of semester/holiday party at my house last night and bless their hearts, all but two students trundled in despite the frigid conditions. One missing student had ballet tickets and the other lives 45 minutes from town so had to head home due to bad roads slowing her trip down. Tonight is dress rehearsal, tomorrow performance. We're going to have to do khaleeji again next semester along with the planned saiidi- if only so everyone can wear the costumes again!!!
I hope you enjoyed a wonderful performance today!

Shanazel

Out temperatures can drop drastically within a few hours. Several years ago, we had a 70 degree drop over night. Today it's above freezing, but:

High Wind Warning remains in effect until 6 PM MST this evening.
  • Timing: A southwest wind will increase this morning and stay strong through this afternoon.
  • Winds: southwest 30 to 40 mph with gusts to 60 mph.
  • Impacts: travelers from South Pass, to Sweetwater station. To muddy gap, and on to Casper will experience very strong cross winds and sudden gusts. Additionally, the wind will cause some blowing and drifting snow with sharp reductions to visibility at times. This will be most noticeable around the Casper Area where the snow cover is deeper.
Must be December. ;)

lilya

Gusts to 60 mph and very strong crosswinds!!! I only remember one day here, years ago, with milder gusts (in the ~80 kph range) that I feared might throw me and my bike off a bridge over the river (that would have meant moving something over 200 lbs in total). Luckily, it wasn't too cold that day and I made it through it.

I just saw this and I wonder if we're under the same air mass, just a bit more sheltered where I am (a few hours' drive from the Rockies):
"Extreme Cold Warning
Issued at 10:29 Saturday 10 December 2016

A period of very cold wind chills is expected.

Wind chill values near minus 40
(C) will continue to affect portions of central and northern Alberta.

Temperatures are forecast to rise slightly today, allowing wind chills to climb into the minus 30's, however, wind chill values are expected to reach minus 40 again this evening and through the overnight hours."

Last edited:

Shanazel

My husband and I rode through a breaks area (a sort of long ridge of hills) and into a huge wind storm a couple two summers ago. Wind was so strong that it felt like it was trying to pick the motorcycle up and hurl it into the ditch, never mind just push it sideways. We stopped and nosed the bikes into the wind, thinking it was just a front passing through and would soon calm down. Twenty minutes later, it was obvious the wind was not going to stop so we remounted and headed back into the breaks. We're used to riding in high winds but this was unrelenting, probably 60 mph with bigger gusts. I did not enjoy that part of the ride; it was scary.

Daimona

Temperatures have dropped here as well and rain turned in to snow. Everything is now covered in 10-15 cm of snow, and temperatures started 2C this morning and now it is app. -9C.
I just love the crisp and crunchy sound of the snow when you walk on it right now.

Shanazel

We've got 27 degrees F/-3 degrees C, sunshine, and a 20 mph wind to make it feel like 14 degrees F. Looks like a real pretty day from where I'm sitting at my desk in the museum.