The weather around the world 2016

Daimona

Ok, since my last post on this thread, it got warmer and started to rain. Most of the snow disappeared, but then temperatures dropped below zero (and it was still raining). The last couple of days air temperature close to the ground have been below the freezing point. It was supposed to snow, but somewhere between the snowdropping skies and the ground, the snow melted to rain. It is still below 0C closer to the ground, and you guessed it. We've got freezing rain making all the roads and pavements rather slippery.

Ariadne

Drive carefully Daimona.

Here the temperatures during the day have staying between 50-60F but as of tonight it's over. We're facing two days of rain (weather advisories for any roads over 8000) followed by a ten degree drop in temperature. I don't actually currently own a coat... Looks like I need to go shopping.

Daimona

Drive carefully Daimona.

Thank you, Ariadne.
Driving carefully is one thing. Walking carefully is equally or maybe even more important, which is a tiny detail I learned the hard way and had to spend Monday evening at the ER. *sigh*

Here the temperatures during the day have staying between 50-60F but as of tonight it's over. We're facing two days of rain (weather advisories for any roads over 8000) followed by a ten degree drop in temperature. I don't actually currently own a coat... Looks like I need to go shopping.

Why don't you make one? :)

Shanazel

Snowing here. Drove home from our daughter's police academy graduation this afternoon. Roads weren't nearly as bad as expected and I hope they'll be decent tomorrow since our daughter-in-law and grandsons are driving home from Alabama via the same roads tomorrow. Everyone be careful!

Ariadne

Thank you, Ariadne.
Driving carefully is one thing. Walking carefully is equally or maybe even more important, which is a tiny detail I learned the hard way and had to spend Monday evening at the ER. *sigh*
Dare I ask what happened?

Why don't you make one? :)
When I first read this my thought was "but by the time I finish I won't need it anymore." After a few days though the idea has grown on me. I am so making my own winter coat. Thanks. :D

Shanazel

We have climbed into positive numbers! 14 degrees feels quite cozy.

Photos of new coat will be required. I'm making a black antari with Yemenite embroidery for a presentation I'm supposed to give at the college in February. Have exactly enough cotton/linen blend in the stash... if I am very, very frugal with the layout.

Hmm. Maybe we need a sewing thread.

Daimona

Dare I ask what happened?

The classical injury on the ice: a strained ankle. Thank God for years of dancing giving me strong ankles, otherwise bones might have been broken and not just the ligaments. I'm working on a program for strengthening and healing it now (rather close to some of the moves I've used in dance preparation and practice as well).

When I first read this my thought was "but by the time I finish I won't need it anymore." After a few days though the idea has grown on me. I am so making my own winter coat. Thanks. :D

You're welcome! :D
I had a feeling you couldn't resist the challenge. ;)

Ah.. yes, the weather.
Temperatures rose app. 10 degrees yesterday, and combined with some heavy rain, most of the ice where I live is now gone! Yay! :yay:

Last edited:

Shanazel

Twenty degrees F with 35-40 mph wind and gusts of 60 mph. That's in the regular part of town. Add ten mph for our area. We don't drive on the highway south of us in these conditions. If the car you're in doesn't blow off the road, you'll run into the high profile semi as it tips over and slide toward you. The latter happened to friend a few years ago. Nope, no highway for us this time of year.

Glad the accident wasn't any worse, Dai. Our museum director broke her ankle ice skating a couple of weeks ago. Big mess; required surgery.

Ariadne

Ditto, I'm really glad it wasn't worse.

You're welcome! :D
I had a feeling you couldn't resist the challenge. ;)
:redface: ... Ummm, yeah. You were right. lol

A sewing thread for non BD things could be a lot of Fun Shanazel. I'm game if you are. :)

Shanazel

Last night, winds at my house were 88 mph. That's 14 mph over the minimum required to be a category I hurricane. The little town where my son used to live had winds of 104 mph. Why, you ask, is the wind so high in Wyoming? Because Nebraska (state to the east of us) sucks and Utah (state to the west of us) blows. :)

Ariadne

Ha ha. ;)

Here it's sunny and cold. Temperatures in the low fifties (F) dropping to low forties Saturday with a whole lot of rain. We might actually get a white Christmas (which is realllly rare) but we're more likely to be looking at black ice Christmas morning.... Honestly I'm a little concerned. :think:

I've heard about the winds in Wyoming Shanazel but I hadn't realized that they got quite that high. That's... kinda scary.

Last edited:

Shanazel

One of the first winters we lived in this house. a high wind gust tore a 2 x 4 off the barn in the neighbor's pasture and put it through the wall of our garage. Another time, my husband was driving about a quarter mile from the house when the wind tore the camper shell off the back of the truck and tossed it a dozen yards form the road. It's not for sissies.

Several years ago, a hurricane hit land in Mexico south of where my brother lives in Texas. The eye went in maybe a hundred miles south of his house. He called to tell me they were closing the border bridges for the duration of the storm because the winds were so high. I asked how high. He said, "35 miles per hour!" I almost died laughing.

Ariadne

It snowed today! Mind you it is a desert and every flake melted the instant it hit any surface but it snowed, on Christmas! Normally we don't get snow until at least mid-January but we walked out of church around ten AM to find it was flurry-ing (is that a word). On Christmas!

I'm just a little excited. Just a bit.

Shanazel

I spent the week down south and so missed the Christmas Day blizzard that closed all the roads in my part of the state for a couple of days.

Now it is cold and clear with a good stiff wind that has drifted the snow over the top of my six foot cedar fence.

Ariadne

Welcome back Shanazel. I hope it was a nice winter solstice with your family. I'm sure missing that blizzard just broke your heart though. ;)

Happy New Years LDW! :D