Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Up coming solo

Post Thanks / Like

Solo improv with a live drummer is one of my favourite things. I've only done it a couple of times in workshops. It was the belly dance equivalent of extreme sports, terrifying then you want to do it again. Disclaimer: never done any extreme sports, only ever danced with lovely tame drummers.

I'm performing at a hafla next weekend; trying to get up the self discipline to choreograph rather than just wing it. I multitasked in the gym this morning by exercising to my music - slow baladi is great for doing weights when you have to do 8 reps. I only shimmied a tiny bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Why choreograph when you can wing it?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    i agree, improv is the soul of bellydance.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    i agree, improv is the soul of bellydance.
    Yep!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I multitasked in the gym this morning by exercising to my music - slow baladi is great for doing weights when you have to do 8 reps. I only shimmied a tiny bit.
    Hm... Why didn't I think of listening to baladi music while at the gym? Maybe it will make the whole thing a bit more bearable? Thanks.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know... The internal debate goes like this:
    "It will look and feel better if you have a choreography, you could kick ass with a good one, get your lazy act together and do it"
    "What's the point? Two bars in i will have blanked out and won't remember it anyway. Can't I just sew sequins onto something?"
    "You would remember if you got on with it and drilled it till you are blue in the face, you can remember group numbers just about"
    "But I have no self discipline and also we know what happens the minute I start choreographing; it turns into a mire of ever changing notes and notation on spreadsheets and we end up forgetting the lot. I bet Fifi never wrote anything on spreadsheets"
    "You are not Fifi, so let's get choreographing..."
    "But we do this every time and it really is a massive waste of time angsting about it then forgetting it. We could save angst by not bothering"
    "Excuses excuses. You will end up flapping about being rubbish, you know you will."
    {Muttering sulkily} "Choreographing baladi is just wrong"

And so it goes. I will go with sorting a few combos out and trying not to forget to do them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Yeah, I know... The internal debate goes like this:
    "It will look and feel better if you have a choreography, you could kick ass with a good one, get your lazy act together and do it"
    "What's the point? Two bars in i will have blanked out and won't remember it anyway. Can't I just sew sequins onto something?"
    "You would remember if you got on with it and drilled it till you are blue in the face, you can remember group numbers just about"
    "But I have no self discipline and also we know what happens the minute I start choreographing; it turns into a mire of ever changing notes and notation on spreadsheets and we end up forgetting the lot. I bet Fifi never wrote anything on spreadsheets"
    "You are not Fifi, so let's get choreographing..."
    "But we do this every time and it really is a massive waste of time angsting about it then forgetting it. We could save angst by not bothering"
    "Excuses excuses. You will end up flapping about being rubbish, you know you will."
    {Muttering sulkily} "Choreographing baladi is just wrong"

And so it goes. I will go with sorting a few combos out and trying not to forget to do them!
    Snort! That biatch lives in my head - give her back! On second thought, you can keep her!

What I've found to be the best compromise is a "spot choreography" - I will do "this" at "this" point in the music where "this" is REALLY what I want to be doing there because it just fits. Otherwise, I improv it. I found that in the end, it doesn't matter whether you choreograph it or not, if you perform it enough times it turns into a choreography anyway! Sometimes you just need to tell that voice to STFU and get on with it!

Yea, I go onstage wanting to incorporate the latest combo I learned from {insert Uber dancer here} - and sometimes I even remember to do that - esp. if I spot choreograph ahead of time and practice the routine a few times ahead of time.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that I only ever write choreos for students & drum solos. Layman audiences like my improv better anyway, so what's the point? Choreo as a way to train your mind? Sure! Choreo to perform? Uh, please, not unless I have to!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

Choreography is a very important tool. It's a framework for dancing in a group. Imagine 5 or 6 beginners hitting the stage and just doing what they want.

If you don't know how it acts as a safety net until you become more experienced. Imagine a beginner being told to just get out there and do a solo... Without a choreography 8 out of 10 might hang up the dance shoes right then and there.

Why choreography when you can wing it?... To be able to wing it is the goal but choreography can help you get there.

P S ...Choreography is not my favorite thing as I have a hard time remembering it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
    Imagine a beginner being told to just get out there and do a solo... Without a choreography 8 out of 10 might hang up the dance shoes right then and there.
    Actually, as a beginner, I did just that. I found myself a performance opportunity, ignored the choreos I'd been taught & went out guns blazing and danced to some western music in a completely inappropriate costume. Do you know what happened? My dance sisters took me aside and told me how I could do it better, how I could dress more appropriately and how I could be more considered in my selection of music. It was hands-down the best thing I have ever done, just getting up there and dancing, completely improvised.

Why choreography when you can wing it?... To be able to wing it is the goal but choreography can help you get there.

P S ...Choreography is not my favorite thing as I have a hard time remembering it...
    Choreography is a useful tool, but too many dancers rely on it and much of their ability is lost to it. It's a great way to show off technique, but so much soul is lost by the repetition of the same movements over and over again. (through practicing choreography or even drilling moves over and over)

I get what you're meaning though. Beginners need boundaries. But that shouldn't come at the cost of creating a reliance upon a pre-created sequence of movements.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast