Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Up coming solo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Up coming solo

I haven't posted anything in a while so I'd just thought I'd give an update. Danced at a hafla in a bar in Nov. It was an improv with just a drummer. I was slightly nervous as we just were doing it on the fly. Was a great learning event for me. The bar was packed and I went out and danced through the crowd. Turned out O.K. Next up is a solo in April at one of the main shows in Regina... I have picked the music and am going to use a cane. Never performed with one so will have to see how it goes....Hoping to hear what others have planned for this year.... Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool - and kudos to you for dancing to a live drummer!

1st 2016 performance for myself tonite - which will be a "dry run" for my Rakkasah performance to Light Rain LIVE! WOOO-HOOO! I luv me some Light Rain!

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear that you're still out there, BigJim. And great that you're pushing your comfort zones. Good for you - and for the audience no doubt! Hope you have many more pleasant dancing experiences to come.

I've just performed solo to a live band for the first time myself. Lovely musicians. A great night all round - raising money for Cancer Research. But my first performance of 2016 was last week at a private party for Burns Night - a bellydance come Scottish jig affair (replete with sporran, owl, and chocolate mousse!).

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go, y'all. I quit performing myself a couple of years ago but my students are working on a choreography to Ask Hic Bizmet that I think will be nice. Never dreamed a strictly improve dancer like me would end her career choreographing ensemble dances.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

..."end her career"?!! Who says you've ended? You're still passing across the river.

Post Thanks / Like

Honey, I'm hip deep in mud and the tide is coming in, but thanks for the vote of confidence.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Way to go, y'all. I quit performing myself a couple of years ago but my students are working on a choreography to Ask Hic Bizmet that I think will be nice. Never dreamed a strictly improve dancer like me would end her career choreographing ensemble dances.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Honey, I'm hip deep in mud and the tide is coming in, but thanks for the vote of confidence.
    I'm not sure about Liking these posts!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
    I haven't posted anything in a while so I'd just thought I'd give an update. Danced at a hafla in a bar in Nov. It was an improv with just a drummer. I was slightly nervous as we just were doing it on the fly. Was a great learning event for me. The bar was packed and I went out and danced through the crowd. Turned out O.K. Next up is a solo in April at one of the main shows in Regina... I have picked the music and am going to use a cane. Never performed with one so will have to see how it goes....Hoping to hear what others have planned for this year.... Jim
    Cool performing improv with a drummer is a lot of fun! And doing it on the fly is the most fun, IMO. I also had the chance to do it at the last hafla I danced at, with a drummer who is a good friend of mine but who I don't get to perform with often, and massively enjoyed it (my favourite photo from the hafla - https://www.facebook.com/RashaBellyd...type=3&theater ).

My dance mission this year is to seek out more opportunities to dance with live bands. So far, I've managed to get two lined up, in April and May, with several live music workshops to attend in the next couple of months for preparation... It feels like a bit of a breakthrough, since in the past the only way I've been able to get on stage with a band has usually been by entering competitions, with all the limitations and stress that competitions entail. I'm very excited, and also a bit nervous, since I really want to do the opportunity justice...

Post Thanks / Like

Rosman a. ..WOW... Great pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why trying to post off my cell phone creates problems but I really did address the previous post to Roshanna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast