New from Oregon

Mitzy Carter

Hi all!

Just wanted to post a quick hello and introduction.
My name is Mitzy and I am going to be taking a belly dance class starting later this month. I have taken a few lessons before and one of my daughters (I have twins) danced for awhile in Ashland, Oregon. I am a little crippled up (bad back and really bad Fibromyalgia, some arthritis) so I don't know how much actual dancing I will be able to do, but I love playing the zills and would like to learn to drum.
I will be 57 in April and I don't see my back getting any better but I am going to give it a go anyway.

Shanazel

Welcome, Mitzy. I'll be 61 in March; age need not be a deterrent. The creaking knees and cracking joints add a lot to the rhythm section- think of them as internal percussion.

Ariadne

Welcome Mitzy. Evidently there is several of us here with fibro so you're in good company. I found dancing (when I can) helped both it and my back. Hopefully it will do the same for you. :D

Darshiva

Dance when you've got the energy to, it helps with the mobility problems that can creep in with fibro.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Generally speaking, Belly Dance is one of the very best things you can do for a bad back. YMMV, consult your doctor, etc, etc. But dancing sure has helped my back!

Mitzy Carter

My doctor said, "You know what you can and can't do. When you do something, if it hurts, stop. Otherwise, any kind of exercise is better than none." So I take that as permission.

Mitzy Carter

Okay, talked to my teacher and we went over my limitations via email. I am meeting her before class next Monday and will have my first class immediately after. So excited!! Also, I really want this outfitIwantThis.jpg

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Woops I missed your intro - welcome to the forum. I am sure as others have said that dancing will be very beneficial. These days I use dance as a form of exercise at home, I am retired from BD did so at 64 (3 yrs ago).
~Mosaic

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Woops I missed your intro - welcome to the forum. I am sure as others have said that dancing will be very beneficial. These days I use dance as a form of exercise at home, I am retired from BD did so at 64 (3 yrs ago).
~Mosaic

One of my teachers retired about 5 years ago - at age 65...

... Now she's out of retirement and teaching one HELL of a "kick ass" class!

Hint, hint... ;)

Shanazel

People have to sit down in order to be at a height at which I can kick ass any more. Darn those aging hip joints.