Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big Facebook fan but I have enjoyed your posts immensely. One of my students is getting married at an SCA event in July and wants dancers at her wedding, so the Veiled Threats shall dance as bidden.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    The difference between Facebook and forums is that forums instigate conversations and Facebook is a platform for soliloquys .
    Agree and disagree. I will agree that I use Facebook more these days, but I wouldn't say it's not constructive. Above ALL, I use it because of it's sheer networking power. Whether this is good or bad, using facebook to keep an eye on the dance world has it's advantages. Because of the sheer number of people on there, the networking, and the pace of social media, I can always be assured that things will be moving, new stuff will be posted, and I may end up talking to just about anybody, which is cool. Yes, you have to sift through a lot of s*** and misinformation, which is bad, but quite frankly I'm used to it. I sift.

Also, facebook doesn't just encourage soliloquys. If you're in the right groups and take care to whittle weird, creepy, rude people out, I've had some intense but wonderfully constructive conversations there.

I think the appeal of Facebook is that it seems to bring all the different platforms together. That's why even though at times I hate it and take breaks from it, I'll always come back. It combines flashy-seconds-long-"look at me!" posting, debates, blogging (you can write essentially blog posts in your notes section), interest groups, event signups, photo/video galleries, into one single interface. It's extremely interactive (in terms of the group connections and signups and "friends") , I suppose, in a way that writing on forums isn't for me.

However, take heart! I think things rise and fall in popularity again and again over time. I can say that I personally ALWAYS come back, because sometimes I need more than the intense sharing and group interaction that I get on Facebook. This is a place where it feels like I'm having a long, patient, important conversation, and trust me I may stray, but I ALWAYS come back here for that

(That and the one ultimate downfall of facebook for me is, "How the hell do I find that cool conversation again where I learned all that stuff?" The problem with Facebook is that it's all about the new, and everything in the past seems to fade away and become impossible to retrieve)

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with Facebook is that it's all about the new, and everything in the past seems to fade away and become impossible to retrieve)
    Definitely a big problem. There is a new weaving page sponsored by Weaving Southwest that I'd love to follow but it is already hopelessly complex and it has only been up ten days or so. No categorization of topics makes me crazy; too many years of being a legal assistant, I suppose, and dedicating my working life to organization of information and retrieval systems for the same.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910