sidebending sidewinder?

BattyBaby

In my dance class we are doing a type of sidewinder where the figure 8 of the chest flows into a full side bend which is accentuated by the pushing out of the arm which becomes parallel with the torso?
Does anybody know the movement I mean, and does anybody have much on it? (ie videos which include it, advice on learning it...)
Thank you!;)

Daimona

In my dance class we are doing a type of sidewinder where the figure 8 of the chest flows into a full side bend which is accentuated by the pushing out of the arm which becomes parallel with the torso?
Does anybody know the movement I mean, and does anybody have much on it? (ie videos which include it, advice on learning it...)
Thank you!;)

I've never heard of a sidewinder, but is it a larger and more exaggerated version of this?
[video=youtube_share;1Y-l0sEcjsQ]https://youtu.be/1Y-l0sEcjsQ[/video]

Roshanna

If you mean what I think you mean (an extremely exaggerated vertical figure 8 with the ribcage, combined with an arm undulation), it's a pure Tribal Fusion move. You're very unlikely to see anyone except tribal fusion dancers (or maybe some of the more fusiony American Oriental dancers) using it in performance.

I've been taught a 'sidewinder' as a combined vertical ribcage 8 with vertical hip 8, kind of like an undulation in the sideways plane - which in itself is a movement that's far more likely to be used in TF than in middle eastern styled bellydance (although the reverse of this movement, with a *downwards* hip 8 and ribcage 8, which looks like a sway leading from the hip, definitely turns up in Egyptian style).

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
What Roshanna said. Its a beautiful move - but it isn't one I can do well. Definitely TF in origin, but it works well with AmCab IMO.

Shanazel

Beg to differ. A tribal move has no more place in AmCab than an assemble or zapateado would.

Last edited:

BattyBaby

Thank you guys so much!
Ohman everybody does sidewinders differently... One of my teachers does them like in the video but the dancer I study with now just uses her chest and arms... some people use their head... Beauty of variation.