For those looking for a decent Shemadan...

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
This subject has come up here - as well as Bhuz - a few times over the years: Where in tarnation to get a decent Shemadan that won't fall apart!

Turquoise Int'l has sold the crummy ones in the past - but I was at their booth at Rakkasah last weekend, and they had some VERY nice looking and seemingly well built Shemadans on their table.

Worth a look if you're in the market...

Farasha Hanem

I have an older one, but it's not very well-made. The top tier of candles sits right underneath the bottom tier, so the candles on the bottom heat up the undersides of the candles on top. I can turn the top layer to prevent this, but then it's too loose, and can spin, which would be dangerous if the candles were lit. I wouldn't mind getting a better one, but it's just not in the budget for me right now. :( >:/

Asra*

My friend ordered one of the Turquoise International ones. I've seen it up close. It is very well made and nice-looking, and the price was very reasonable. Initially, there was something wrong with the headband - it couldn't be made to fit. Turquoise sent her a new one and she's happier with it now.

Daimona

Swords terrify me...
You think it is better to place lit candles and dripping candle wax on the top of your head that may set you hair on fire? ;)

That being said, if had knew the name of the producer of my shemadan I would recommend to stay away from them... It is huge and wobbly and made from poor quality materials as well as being badly produced. I have to check it thoroughly every time I use it both before and after traveling with it (i.e. both at home before leaving and at the venue). The only positive thing about it is that I can do whatever I like when wearing it because the audience won't look at me, they just wonder if/when anything will fall down....

Last edited:

Roshanna

I have one that I bought at Mahmouds in Cairo last year, and it's OK but a bit flimsy and wobbly - I've used it with LED candles, but I'm not sure I'd feel very safe putting real ones in it. I'm sure there must be better ones out there, but I'm not sure that anyone in the UK stocks them (I think most UK vendors get their stock of props from Mahmouds), and postage from anywhere else would be very expensive...

Asra*

If you really want to shell out for an uber good quality shamadan, the German ones are the way to go. I got mine from Almanar. It cost about $300, but it's built really well and it's beautiful. If I ever needed another shamadan, that's where I'd get it.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yes, they are fantastic. To the very best of my knowledge, they're not available in the US.