Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    This. Definitely. I am so sick of fusion, fantasy, and farfetched fripperies passing for belly dance.
    To be honest, I tend to just subconsciously filter these things out and don't even register them as options when I see the workshop listings or see them on festival timetables.

Post Thanks / Like

Not me. I moan and groan and gnash my teeth and say rude things.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Not me. I moan and groan and gnash my teeth and say rude things.
    Just don't rend your bedlah!

Post Thanks / Like

My bedlah rends itself if it thinks I'm actually making a move to wear it again.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Aargh, battery fail ate my last post (can I rend my bedlah now?!).

Seconding what Zorba said about workshops on expression. I went to an excellent one recently and I'm still not sure why it worked for me. I think it was a combination of a teacher who is expression personified so sets a great example, and the energy and ambience she created so that it didn't feel silly to give the emoting a go. It's definitely a multi skill set topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Roshanna
    ...I tend to just subconsciously filter these things out and don't even register them as options when I see the workshop listings or see them on festival timetables
    Me too. I'll only do the wacky fusion workshops if it's a teacher who might have an interesting take on it., or if I feel like just doing it for a giggle or for the exercise.

I like the idea of a social dancing workshop, and have never seen one before. Novelty, but in a good way!

Also I was thinking about improv/ fear of improv and workshop descriptions. I've been put on the spot far more times in classes and workshops than in performance. Including that angle might make it more relevant to students who wouldn't dream of doing an improvised performance. Making it more "get confident with classroom situations you might find yourself in" than "learn to do something that's so scary you don't envisage yourself doing ever unless dragged by wild horses".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roshanna View Post
    I'd like to offer some musical interpretation/improv toolkit type workshops, but am still working out how I might conceptualise it, and what I'd call it to make it not sound scary, boring or offputting... Another thought that has just popped into my head is a workshop on how to enjoy social dancing, since so many student dancers seem to be afraid to get on the dance floor at haflas during the 'open floor' parts.
    Add me as another who loves the idea of social dancing. Love, love love it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12