Zil Glitch

BigJim

Was performing at a community event with a mentor of mine Azura and Vic Doum who provided the live drumming.I was beside Vic who had a live mike for his drums. When I started to go on stage I fired up the zils...and the sound system went wild with feedback noise. I quickly put some distance between us but there was about 8 seconds of shrill sounds. It was an improve so am happy to say I think I recovered quickly...Live and learn.. Jim

Aniseteph

Feedback, ouch. Good thinking to work out what was happening and fix it. Was it a big venue or outdoors to need the drum amplified?

BigJim

It was a big venue indoors. There was a lot happening at the venue all at the same time. Around the outside edge there were food and craft sellers...half the hall had round tables where people were eating and talking and the stage area had seating for 400...At it's peak the crowd was about 800-900 ... The drum needed to be miked to compete with all the action..It was my first time at this event so I was a bit freaked when I first saw the crowd but it had thinned out some when it was our turn to dance.

Aniseteph

Sounds like fun, nice to be involved in a big event. I suppose you do need to amplify if you're trying to attract attention with a lot going on. Well done for getting over the being freaked bit!

BigJim

Just an update on what really happened to cause the feedback. Was chatting with Vic the drummer yesterday and we got to discussing this. He said it had nothing to do with the zils. When the sound manager was setting up the mike for the drum I was standing beside Vic but in front of the speaker. As soon as I moved out onto the stage the feedback happened. It was a coincidence that I started zil s at the same time. The feedback would of happened anyway.... Learn something new everyday..