Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Thank you for the book resource. Just point me in the right direction.

Still looking at internet costumes. Original, well executed sewing concepts catch my attention. Simplicity also feels important right now. (I've done complicated and not into that anymore, give me something 'simply beautiful'.)

For instance: What is that sheer black ribbon at the hem of this skirt? Gives fullness and structural support to the hemline. See it on a majority of Ukrainian costumes, but darned if I can figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a ribbon on the underskirt too. It is a bit odd; there's nothing elsewhere on the costume that it ties in to design-wise. Either it's a fashion thing or (cynical view) an easier way to get a neat finish on a long curved hemline on stretchy or bias-cut material.

I tracked down my old hippy book, it was "If you can't go naked, here are clothes to sew on fast", by Donna Lawson. I don't have it anymore but it comes up on Amazon. Gloriously groovy 70's cover, be warned. I love the "if", like we only needed to fling something on in specific circumstances once in a while when society forced us into it.

I like the rest of the skirt, but not so sure about the cape thingy.

Post Thanks / Like

The cape thing makes me laugh. It isn't well blended into the costume. But lovely skirt.
    Wondering if the black ribbon might be horse hair. (Every pro seamstress I know had said I don't know either.) Perhaps I need to use babblefish to translate English into Ukraine and ask the ladies.
    Will definitely buy the book today. Thank you for the reference.

Post Thanks / Like

The "ribbon" looks like organza or maybe tule that has had its edge serged. That's how I sometimes make flounces for my skirts.

Post Thanks / Like

One can buy very stiff ribbons that act like horsehair to give light skirts a flare at the hem. Some of the ribbons are wired along the edges for extra support.

That little cape- probably seemed like a good idea at the time and didn't work out exactly as planned. Maybe the designer was going for an updated version of Suzanne's adored epaulets?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely experience shopping for dance fabric in L.A. fabric district. Beads and more has fantastic enormous stones. Will finish a couple of costumes with them.
    Last edited by Suzanne Azhaar; 03-27-2016 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

P.s. Bought the book. Should arrive this week.

Post Thanks / Like

When you decide to tie one on, we require photos of your new looks.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Lol! Sounds like fun. Can't wait to see the book.

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fzdb.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	10576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sdg.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	10575I love the colors on the second costume. The first is sort of retro-Juliana. Perhaps we'll have a return to the seventies?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast