2016 fashions in costuming

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
That first costume is just lovely. NOT that I have the body for it! :lol:

Suzanne Azhaar

Two versions? By Fatima Habib. During research, saw photographic progression of her sewing talent (costume portfolio) over years. Impressive. :clap:

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I like it. A male version would be easy - or let me rephrase that: It wouldn't be any more work to make a male version - or it would be easy to convert an existing one - but the core costume itself takes some serious talent!

Roshanna

View attachment 10576View attachment 10575I love the colors on the second costume. The first is sort of retro-Juliana. Perhaps we'll have a return to the seventies?

I've thought for a year or so that seventies costume shapes seem to be making a return with the Egyptian designers, especially in the form of skirts with high slits/narrow front panels, and also in some cases the combination of the leggy skirt with a covered midriff a la Soheir Zaki. I like them :)

Daimona

View attachment 10576View attachment 10575I love the colors on the second costume. The first is sort of retro-Juliana. Perhaps we'll have a return to the seventies?

I love the colors and decorations of both, but I'm not a fan of showing too much of the upper thighs in the first (if I told what I'd be thinking of, I'd probably be getting an infraction for bad language). It could be easily fixed with some beige panels at the sides, though.

I adore that blue costume of Fatima Habib above. If only I had the body and a reason to wear it...

Shems

3d flowers - sheer full skirts - the one sleeve dress

Recent costume trends that I find really interesting and I feel kind of particular to this time:

3D details, (not silk flowers so much as blinged flowers) like this one by Hisham Osman on Randa Kamal, and the orchids costume by Marina Zuy
jlgwWv8poVI.jpg c1e3ebac18806276a95408f16b3115ef.jpg

Sheer ruffly full skirts, like this one on Victoria Teel, sometimes as an underskirts, sometimes with a miniskirt style topper and sheer below.
[video=youtube_share;bERzIfg4LYI]https://youtu.be/bERzIfg4LYI[/video]

The one sleeved side cut out dress seems to be appearing quite a bit lately too. Here is one on Veronica Fatin that also has that sheer full skirt thing too.
[video=youtube_share;mr6kUhQybfk]https://youtu.be/mr6kUhQybfk?list=PL5EF161FA7827D41A[/video]

Shems

And, of course, there is this :D

[video=youtube_share;v0Gzta_R8l8]https://youtu.be/v0Gzta_R8l8[/video]

Amie Sultan Christmas balls costume

Shanazel

I started dancing in the era of high side slits and narrow front panels. I was a modest lass who seamed her skirts down to mid-upper thigh to make sure no one caught a glimpse of anything they shouldn't. One time I gave into fashion and employer requirements and wore a skirt with a half circle back, narrow eighth circle front, and open to the lower hip. I was mortified the entire time and never wore the costume again. Made me feel like a piece of meat on display in a case.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I started dancing in the era of high side slits and narrow front panels. I was a modest lass who seamed her skirts down to mid-upper thigh to make sure no one caught a glimpse of anything they shouldn't. One time I gave into fashion and employer requirements and wore a skirt with a half circle back, narrow eighth circle front, and open to the lower hip. I was mortified the entire time and never wore the costume again. Made me feel like a piece of meat on display in a case.
That would be scary!!

Shanazel

What? The idea of me largely exposed to the world? I was a little more worthy of exposure forty years ago. ;)

Roshanna

I don't think I'd feel comfortable dancing in the original 70s style ones, either. What I like about the current incarnation is that the panels are often attached to a pair of lycra shorts, so they look and feel secure, the slits can't creep wider open, and you and the audience can feel safe that you're not going to flash anyone...

Shanazel

Seaming the front seams to mid-thigh (miniskirt length) worked just fine. My skirts were very full and I often wore them layered so the most anyone ever saw of my legs was a flash. Legs work very hard in belly dance and hiding them adds to the mystery of movement.

Aniseteph

I'm still laughing at the costume with the balls on.

Don't the panelled skirts misbehave if the front panel is reduced to a narrow panel that only just covers your embarrassment at the top? I'd expect the lower edge of the front panel to head straight between the lower legs the minute you move and create an unattractive low slung loincloth effect. Extra inelegant points for having to surreptitiously reach down and fish it back before it gets any worse. Or maybe that's just for normal mortals and doesn't apply to slim thighed goddesses who can get away with such things!