2016 fashions in costuming

Shanazel

Once upon a time, dancers (even, and maybe especially, those wearing tres revealing costumes) disported themselves like ladies, avoiding the wide stances, high kicks, and giant steps that lead to long slung loincloth costume effects. First time I saw a dancer do a hip circle with her knees two feet apart and her butt sticking out, I nearly plotzed. I still think it looks vulgar and I don't care how many times Dina does it. She's Dina. She invented vulgar and made it respectable. Lesser mortals need to behave themselves.

We Are Not Amused when they don't.

Last edited:

Roshanna

Don't the panelled skirts misbehave if the front panel is reduced to a narrow panel that only just covers your embarrassment at the top? I'd expect the lower edge of the front panel to head straight between the lower legs the minute you move and create an unattractive low slung loincloth effect. Extra inelegant points for having to surreptitiously reach down and fish it back before it gets any worse. Or maybe that's just for normal mortals and doesn't apply to slim thighed goddesses who can get away with such things!

That's exactly what appears to have happened - here's Fifi for reference (especially around 0:30)... ;)

[video=youtube_share;t-1pcG900fk]https://youtu.be/t-1pcG900fk[/video]

Shanazel

Missing quarter panel or not, I love that clip and have watched the extended version many times. My mind is not functioning- WHAT is the name of the dancer in the red wig?

Zumarrad

Also, seeing that clip again after a few years shows me how much I've learned, because in the initial viewings I was all "oh that's Fifi when she was much younger really I would not have realised" and now it's so screamingly obvious to me because of the movements that it's Fifi the second she appears.

Roshanna

Missing quarter panel or not, I love that clip and have watched the extended version many times. My mind is not functioning- WHAT is the name of the dancer in the red wig?

Yeah, I love this one too and find Fifi's dancing in it particularly hypnotic, which is how I immediately knew to search for it to illustrate the disappearing skirt ;)

Selene

I have seen a lot more floral printed skirts in satin and I think they are just gorgeous!! Like this one:

Also something that is very "in" in fashion now: skin tone mesh with lace designs on top. I know this is not new but I keep seeing it more and more

Suzanne Azhaar

Interesting Selene. The waist chain goes from hip, down leg, to toe tie. Draws the eye down the body through design.

Shanazel, received, "Here are clothes to sew on Fast". Recognize the majority of concepts from renaissance era. Wraparound Pantskirt caught my attention. Perfect for summer, and dance practice. Perhaps in a light rayon.

Selene

I agree Suzanne Azhaar, the chain in this design is very specific, though I shared this one to exemplify what I was saying about floral printed costumes :) (deep down I'm a secret fan of that chain going from hip to toe)

Shanazel

Suzanne, is it a worthwhile addition to a collection of costuming books or are projects familiar from other sources?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I like the chain - I'm just not sure how it would work out to wear/dance with! Very interesting concept!

Roshanna

I have seen a lot more floral printed skirts in satin and I think they are just gorgeous!! Like this one:

Also something that is very "in" in fashion now: skin tone mesh with lace designs on top. I know this is not new but I keep seeing it more and more

I *love* this costume! I can imagine the leg chain thing being annoying (and possibly slightly dangerous?) to actually dance with, though.

Selene

I does look a bit dangerous, soooo pretty, but dangerous. This chain doesn't look loose enough to dance wearing it, but I have seen other costumes incorporating something similar but with more room to move your leg.

Shanazel

It's great as long as it doesn't get caught over your kneecap about the time you bend your knee at an acute angle.

Roshanna

It's great as long as it doesn't get caught over your kneecap about the time you bend your knee at an acute angle.

What I'm imagining is bending your leg (e.g. for a level change, or a passe type turn, or one of those modern Cairo style jumpy things), the chain hanging down loosely, and then getting a foot caught in it.

Suzanne Azhaar

Shanazal, I think the book is a worthwhile resource to a collection. For the universal utility of shapes creating simplistic clothing. And a lovely reminder life doesn't have to be complicated to be beautiful. (Definitely planning to sew those pants.)