Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2016 fashions in costuming

So, all you lords and ladies who are still performing: what's new in costuming this year?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't performed, but the spring skirts with halter top has my attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Spring skirts? I get this vision of skirts decorated with Slinkies in rainbow colors.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I remember in the 70's how halters were the perfect summer wear. This costume makes me smile just looking at it. (From Pinterest, so I don't know who the designer is.)
    Last edited by Suzanne Azhaar; 03-23-2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: giving credit

Post Thanks / Like

Cute!

I remember making halter tops in the seventies by tying two bandanas together. Can't believe I ever had the nerve, let alone the body, to wear such a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: tying two bandanas together. That's brave! Closest I came to a halter was a swimsuit top. But my older sis rocked halters.

Thinking this costume needs to be made; even if I don't wear it anytime soon. Needs slightly more bling on the belt.

Post Thanks / Like

In the seventies I had a book about tie-on clothes, all 70's global hippy ethnic chic, and I was never brave or stupid enough to go out in just a couple of bits of knotted cloth. The attempts never even got downstairs for mum to have to do the You're Not Going Out Like That routine.

I do like the trend for print costumes, and the contrast underskirt/ruffles some of them have (great if you are tall and want to lengthen a skirt without it screaming "hey look, this skirt was too short, see what I did with it???!").

I don't know what's cutting edge at the moment, but do feel a bit retro in the heavily beaded Madame Abla style costumes. Which is OK, I am all about vintage retro . At least they aren't so dated as to have epaulettes. (Ooh, 80s belly dance costume revival anyone? )

Post Thanks / Like

Knowing how to tie one helluva dependable square knot was de rigueur for halter tops.

I graduated high school and escaped the familial home and maternal observation in the seventies and could wear what I wanted. I also lived in the deadly heat of the San Joaquin valley where exposed skin in the summer did not raise a single eyebrow on anyone under forty. An outfit that looked perfectly normal in Fresno would've elicited gasps in Minneapolis.

Post Thanks / Like

Sister dancer shared this one. Fun costume and wowzers this lady can dance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk5D...ature=youtu.be

Love vintage style costumes = glamour. But the thought of epaulettes leave me gasping with laughter.

p.s. There was a book about tie-on clothes, all 70's global hippy ethnic chic? Dang! Missed that one (grew up in a little town).

Post Thanks / Like

She's a little frenetic to suit me- too much tossing of hair, veil, and various body parts.

If I am not mistaken, I have that book somewhere- how to make hippie clothing out of all sorts of odds and ends. Copies pop up regularly at the library book sale and I bought one to add to my collection of costuming books. Shall I keep an eye out for a copy for you, Suzanne? Never too late to go retro.

I do like the trend toward floral prints, something that was once unthinkable. Too much girl next door, perhaps?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast