2016 fashions in costuming

Suzanne Azhaar

I remember in the 70's how halters were the perfect summer wear. This costume makes me smile just looking at it. :dance: (From Pinterest, so I don't know who the designer is.)

Last edited:

Shanazel

Cute!

I remember making halter tops in the seventies by tying two bandanas together. Can't believe I ever had the nerve, let alone the body, to wear such a thing.

Suzanne Azhaar

Re: tying two bandanas together. That's brave! Closest I came to a halter was a swimsuit top. But my older sis rocked halters. :D

Thinking this costume needs to be made; even if I don't wear it anytime soon. Needs slightly more bling on the belt.

Aniseteph

In the seventies I had a book about tie-on clothes, all 70's global hippy ethnic chic, and I was never brave or stupid enough to go out in just a couple of bits of knotted cloth. The attempts never even got downstairs for mum to have to do the You're Not Going Out Like That routine.

I do like the trend for print costumes, and the contrast underskirt/ruffles some of them have (great if you are tall and want to lengthen a skirt without it screaming "hey look, this skirt was too short, see what I did with it???!").

I don't know what's cutting edge at the moment, but do feel a bit retro in the heavily beaded Madame Abla style costumes. Which is OK, I am all about vintage retro :D. At least they aren't so dated as to have epaulettes. (Ooh, 80s belly dance costume revival anyone? :shok:)

Shanazel

Knowing how to tie one helluva dependable square knot was de rigueur for halter tops. ;)

I graduated high school and escaped the familial home and maternal observation in the seventies and could wear what I wanted. I also lived in the deadly heat of the San Joaquin valley where exposed skin in the summer did not raise a single eyebrow on anyone under forty. An outfit that looked perfectly normal in Fresno would've elicited gasps in Minneapolis.

Shanazel

She's a little frenetic to suit me- too much tossing of hair, veil, and various body parts.

If I am not mistaken, I have that book somewhere- how to make hippie clothing out of all sorts of odds and ends. Copies pop up regularly at the library book sale and I bought one to add to my collection of costuming books. Shall I keep an eye out for a copy for you, Suzanne? Never too late to go retro. ;)

I do like the trend toward floral prints, something that was once unthinkable. Too much girl next door, perhaps?

Suzanne Azhaar

Yes! Thank you for the book resource. Just point me in the right direction. :)

Still looking at internet costumes. Original, well executed sewing concepts catch my attention. Simplicity also feels important right now. (I've done complicated and not into that anymore, give me something 'simply beautiful'.)

For instance: What is that sheer black ribbon at the hem of this skirt? Gives fullness and structural support to the hemline. See it on a majority of Ukrainian costumes, but darned if I can figure it out.

Aniseteph

There's a ribbon on the underskirt too. It is a bit odd; there's nothing elsewhere on the costume that it ties in to design-wise. Either it's a fashion thing or (cynical view) an easier way to get a neat finish on a long curved hemline on stretchy or bias-cut material.

I tracked down my old hippy book, it was "If you can't go naked, here are clothes to sew on fast", by Donna Lawson. I don't have it anymore but it comes up on Amazon. Gloriously groovy 70's cover, be warned. I love the "if", like we only needed to fling something on in specific circumstances once in a while when society forced us into it.

I like the rest of the skirt, but not so sure about the cape thingy.

Suzanne Azhaar

The cape thing makes me laugh. It isn't well blended into the costume. But lovely skirt.
Wondering if the black ribbon might be horse hair. (Every pro seamstress I know had said I don't know either.) Perhaps I need to use babblefish to translate English into Ukraine and ask the ladies.
Will definitely buy the book today. Thank you for the reference.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
The "ribbon" looks like organza or maybe tule that has had its edge serged. That's how I sometimes make flounces for my skirts.

Shanazel

One can buy very stiff ribbons that act like horsehair to give light skirts a flare at the hem. Some of the ribbons are wired along the edges for extra support.

That little cape- probably seemed like a good idea at the time and didn't work out exactly as planned. Maybe the designer was going for an updated version of Suzanne's adored epaulets? ;)

Suzanne Azhaar

Lovely experience shopping for dance fabric in L.A. fabric district. Beads and more has fantastic enormous stones. Will finish a couple of costumes with them.

Last edited:

Shanazel

fzdb.jpgsdg.jpgI love the colors on the second costume. The first is sort of retro-Juliana. Perhaps we'll have a return to the seventies?