Dancing with multiple veils - advice for reducing static/naughty veils?

Asra*

Hi all,

I am working on a choreography for a myth-themed show so I'm doing Salome and her 7 veils.

I've done double veil, both with silk and chiffon, but I've never tucked that many veils and I'm worried they are going to stick to each other.

Has anyone danced with this many veils? Any advice to avoid static or other multi-veil pitfalls?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I've thought about doing this also, so I'll be interested in other's views on the subject. My initial thoughts:

1) Come onstage and do double veil right away - that way you only need to tuck 5.

2) Anti-static spray as needed.

3) Practice, practice, practice. See how they behave!

4) One of my instructors always said "7 veils? Wear 8!" in reference to the sometimes salacious reputation a 7 veils dance has!

One of my dance sisters did a 7 veils dance years back - she didn't have any problems.

Last edited:

Asra*

I've never used anti-static spray - do you spray it on right before you dance? If I'm spraying it on the veils for practice numerous times, does it build up on the veils?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I've never used anti-static spray - do you spray it on right before you dance? If I'm spraying it on the veils for practice numerous times, does it build up on the veils?

I've only used it on veils a few times - the stuff I've used I've just sprayed it on once and its been GTG for multiple uses. YMMV. It will wash out, I have one skirt I wear in mundania that I have to re-apply each times its washed. I used "Static Guard" brand.

Shems

I was asked once to do a Salome dance of the seven veils themed piece once. I recruited Latifa to play Salome's mother, because I thought it would really add to the piece, she always seemed like an important character. Not saying you should do that, but I was going to share a few photos to try and show you how we handled the seven veils and you will see her in the photos with me.

I think some of the key elements of what made it work for me was using different textures of veils. Silk will stick to silk if it is layered on, so I used some silk, but Latifa had these fantastic sequin veils on a polychiffon base that we layered on top and they really worked great. 1) I stared out wearing the veils pretty much as a layered dress, with one of the silk veils as a belt and another wrapped around my neck and then tucked in the hips. 2) The two outermost veils were danced with first, then the one from around my neck, 3) then Latifa helped unwind the silk belt veil, 4) you can see there are still a couple veils tucked in the top of my skirt while I was dancing with one of the sequinned veils, 5) then when the whole piece reached its end I was veil-free.

1)5204374770_18403b3b90_z.jpg 2)5203775739_3e48fded3f_z.jpg 3) 5203775643_d2ae76e3c0_z.jpg 4) 5203775695_c25df51363_z.jpg 5) 5203775547_21ec57a736_z.jpg

I hope this is helpful. :)

Last edited:

Asra*

That gives me some ideas, Shems, thanks. Good point about the silk sticking to itself. I was going to do a combination of silk and chiffon, so I'll experiment with alternating them. 2 of my veils will likely be fan veils, just to change things up a bit.