Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm...

There was that one time my bra hook popped right at the dramatic moment in my set where I bent forward then tossed my hair dramatically as I stood up for a grand ta-da! And that was the day I had decided to put an extra pin in my bra and a precautionary measure. It turns out the hook was fine, but the pin had somehow managed to pull the hook open, then the pin failed! I tried to fix it quickly while I continued to dance, got a call to "take it off!" in the process, (yes sir you are very clever, everyone thinks you are hilarious), but it wasn't cooperating and I had to go back into the dressing room and get lectured by the manager while she pinned me back in. I was so traumatized I never performed in that costume again.

There was this other time when I was working at a nice lil' Turkish restaurant when one of the staff, who apparently really liked me decided to make a big fancy multi-candle structure out of a pineapple or other such non-sense and place it on a dividing barrier in this narrow section in the restaurant I'd have to dance through. He was gleaming as he told me it was just for me, so I didn't have the heart to tell him to move it. I really thought I could deftly avoid it. I thought wrong. I lost one my best veils that night.

Post Thanks / Like

Bra tops are my nemesis. Borrowed a fabulous set from a girlfriend (short notice, no time to drive home and pick up my own). Front closure popped at wrong moment, swiftly turned back toward audience. Realize, no quick fix, did a sweeping bow and off stage. (Eeks!)

Second time, dancing at restaurant, long tables of corporate representatives. Thread gave on hooks. Elbows came down so fast bra didn't have time to shift. Graceful bow, exit to ladies room. Fast costume change. Return before next song begins. One lady said, "You're good." Meaning 'no one else at the table noticed what had happened'.

Something is bound to happen..... (keeps a dancer on their toes).

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt you were all inspirations for Janet Jackson's celebrated Costume Malfunction.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

The worst I ever saw - descending skirt slowly revealing quite a lot of white knicker while dancer was busy with Isis wings. I think the whole audience felt for her, all the more so if she'd realised what was happening because it was practically impossible to do a sneaky fix with those wings. It wouldn't have been half as bad if the underwear hadn't been so white and sensible and everyday.

I can't think of any performance crises I've had apart from swiping hair flowers off myself on a regular basis. I've had near misses with harem pants several times though; my toes get caught in the fabric of the opposite leg.

Duet/ group cane in a small space? Consider your risk of locking hooks, it looks really silly, especially as you have to get over the "I can't believe that just happened" stage before trying to disentangle.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh, you just reminded me of the time my harem pants elastic failed and those darn pants dropped down around my ankles at a performance at a party. It was under my skirt so I was able to shuffle off and kick them off in a side room quickly and return. Most folks didn't even notice, which I find ultimately surprising, people don't notice all kinds of things.

Post Thanks / Like

One time, as a baby dancer, I was wearing a very jingly anklet with bells on it. I did a level change kneeling on one leg, and when I tried to come up the anklet had gotten tangled in some part of my hip belt, so I couldn't stand up! This was during a group piece, so of course I was on one knee flailing about while the rest of the group was on to the next part of the dance. No more jingly anklets for me.

I have had a bra pop open twice in my dance career. Back hook both times. The first time I was a newbie, possibly to be forgiven for only having one hook instead of two on my bra. I felt it pop, elbows came down. Mid-set, my instinct was to seek help. I found an older lady who looked friendly and whispered "please help", knelt in front of her while doing snake arms and she hooked me back up. What an angel. For the rest of the set, I made a joke of it every time I danced near her.

I learned an important lesson from that: ALWAYS have two sets of hooks on a bra. Years later, I ignored my own advice and performed at a friend's party in a new bedlah that I hadn't fully altered. (I've practised in it, it'll be fine). It was not fine. Bra popped open, elbows came down. My friend hooked me back up and we still joke about it to this day.

All joking aside, I'm not proud of it - especially the second time when I knew better

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. Anklet-hipbelt death lock has got my vote for most original costume disaster.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Okay. Anklet-hipbelt death lock has got my vote for most original costume disaster.
    Which just goes to show that you can never predict where Murphy will strike next.

Post Thanks / Like

Two dance sisters got locked together at the hip when their respective hip belts got interlocked. We were doing a hip-to-hip in a line type of troupe number. When it came time to turn, the two locked dancers turned as a unit. One of them was our instructor

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a legendary one among my dance friends. I was on the stage when it happened but not part of the mishap myself:

Cane dance for six. Dancers lined up in two rows on stage from front to back like dots on a die, 3 and 3. Cane twirling overhead (like a helicopter), middle dancer in the stage right line a bit off on her timing. Front dancer's cane hooks the crook of the middle dancer's cane, twirls her cane all the way around, and the middle dancer catches her cane again as it comes around the back!

Luckiest prop malfunction ever. Not for a million dollars could you have choreographed it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12