RenFaire performances

Shanazel

My dancers are performing at a RenFaire in August. I've never even been to a RenFaire. Anyone have any suggestions?

Farasha Hanem

Make sure everyone brings plenty of water (or you might ask the people running the Ren Faire if they will supply bottled water, especially if your troupe is a part of their advertised shows). Also, bring and use plenty of sunscreen. Being outdoors for hours will turn y'all red as lobsters. You might also bring packable snacks, camp chairs, parasols, fans (either the pretty hand fans, or the small personal, battery-operated ones), and small gym towels, as well as the regular Bellydance Emergency Kit (safety pins, extra costume/makeup/props/whatever), and MONEY. Plus, if they want pics and/or videos, a camera, camcorder, or smart phone with a built-in camera, with extra batteries, charger, and or tripod.

If your Ren Faire is anything like ours, there will be vendor booths that offer bellydance-related items---just be aware that most of it will be that cheap airport stuff, but sometimes you'll run into something WONDERFUL. :D

Farasha Hanem

OH! In your downtime between sets, roam around and take in some of the other shows. Ren Faires are so much FUN! :D

I almost forgot---if you don't plan on taking a tent to change in (which in my opinion is a good idea), make sure there's a place for your students to change. You don't want them changing in a porta-potty. xP

OH! Music! It would be best to bring your own sound system and have your performance music either burned on a CD, or in a playlist on an MP3 player or iPod. Don't forget the auxiliary cord for the iPod. Make sure your sound system is in good working order, and that it's powerful enough to be heard outdoors. If there will be live drummers there, all the better! :D

EDIT: Plan your set list ahead of time and make sure to give it to the proper person making the show schedule, and coordinate to make sure everyone gets back in plenty of time to be ready to perform. :D

Last edited:

Shanazel

Thanks, Farasha. I really appreciate the input since I've never even been to a RenFaire.

Nope, they're not The Gypsies. Over the years we've used "Sharazad Dancers," "The Veiled Threats," and (strictly amongst ourselves) "The Belly Button Jewels of the North Platte." The second name is the current name.

Greek Bonfire

And you don't really need a coverup either since most people there are already in some type of costume. As for what you call yourselves, the more exotic, the better. The use of the above names in right in line with that; in fact, make it as dramatic and as magnificent as you can.

Farasha Hanem

Greek Bonfire is right. You're supposed to be "in character," so no coverup needed. :) Tribal costuming works best at Ren Faires, so now would be the time to break out those cholis, turbans, coin hip scarves, and 25 yard skirts! :D

Shanazel

We're going with modified baladi dresses: easy, traditional, and relatively inexpensive for everyone to make, family audience friendly, and (really important in central Wyoming in August) cool. I melt at the very thought of a turban!

Shanazel

"Shoes?" The girl from Arkansas asks blankly.:lol:

Guess we'd better figure something out since none of us normally wear more than foot undies!

Love the pot dance!

Shanazel

Hi, Jeanne! Yes, bless their dear hearts, they were turned over to new teachers (former students of mine) when I retired but I believe they've kept the name.

Ran into a tribal fusion group in Montana called The Hot Asps.

Ariadne

I just came from a Renn Faire this last weekend. They're exhausting but fun.

Did your former students perform at one again this year?

Greek Bonfire

hi, jeanne! Yes, bless their dear hearts, they were turned over to new teachers (former students of mine) when i retired but i believe they've kept the name.

Ran into a tribal fusion group in montana called the hot asps.

bwahahahaha!!! Omigreakingoodness!!

Greek Bonfire

Veiled Threats-love it! And shoes for sure as the streets can have a lot of dust and dirt, not to mention other cutting things, and also it gets pretty hot.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Another cute troupe name I heard of was a group who called themselves "Sahara Mascara". I seem to recall they were connected with the Veiled Threats (of the SF Bay area) in one way or another.