Anybody Recognize This Song?

Aniseteph

I know this annoyingly well but can't put a name to it right now. I should be able to track it down tomorrow once I can access the music library.

Shanazel

I have the first song somewhere in my collection but I can rarely recall a title. If Aniseteph doesn't find it, I will go look.

Aniseteph

Of course, THAT's why I know it so well, it's on the first belly dance CD I ever bought, a double CD called "Exotic Oriental Bellydance", by L'Orchestre de Danse Orientale. Musical education gold, and there was me mostly buying it for being cheap...

They have ridiculous orientalist titles to the tracks instead of the real names so you don't know what they really are - over the years this CD has kept me going in "hey I recognise that track/ tune" moments. I believe a fair few if not all are actually from old Egyptian film soundtracks. Another confusion is that most of the tracks are on it twice in slightly different versions.

So, rummaging about I found the first fast section at the end of what they call"The Jewelled Navel" :rolleyes:(other version "The Harem Dance") but I think is Rabia by Ahmed Fouad Hassan.

(goes looking for the second section...)

And yet again this CD adds a new twist, not only are things on there twice, they also repeat onto other tracks (yeah it sounds dumb not to realise but until my Arabic music ear tuned in these ALL sounded pretty much the same to me. It makes me wonder what audiences hear).

It's the track they have called "The Moving Body". I'm guessing it's just a different version/ cut of Rabia.

A lot of the tracks are from movies with Nagwa Fouad though a couple are Soheir Zaki... so I went trawling YT for Nagwa clips and found this - same song but an older- sounding version:

[video=youtube_share;tH_Nqx4ktss]https://youtu.be/tH_Nqx4ktss?list=PLftH0KVeLG4frC8uB8Ot9pYCRGBHuIm9 s[/video]

I also found a lot of 70s hair, 80s make up and acres of epic fringe. 70s fringe is insane.

Shems

I used the piece Ameera is dancing to for a competition I did once. This particular recording is off of Beata & Horacio's Oriental Fantasy Vol. 10 CD "Egyptian Love Affair" and the track is called "Arabian Dream".

I just went back and re-watched my performance from that competition. It was better than I remembered now that the competition trauma is long past. :)

Last edited:

Aniseteph

You are absolutely right, it is. They are extremely similar versions but the ney solo is different. There ya go, another cross-reference for the music library :rolleyes:. It doesn't make it any easier to put a name to a song when people keep on calling it completely different things.

I get performance trauma bad enough - competition trauma must take it to another level altogether.

Kristen

Wow thank you everyone! I finally downloaded the song after obsessing over it for awhile now ?
Thanks again!