Arm/Elbow Sleeves

Kristen

I am looking for arm/elbow sleeves to match an orange costume I recently purchased. I am having a hard time finding a set that will match and I feel naked without anything on my arms. Got any vender suggestions? I tried L. Rose Designs and Dahlal, but neither have a shade of orange that won't clash.

Shanazel

Orange is a really hard color to match. Is there something available that will blend or contrast nicely instead?

Darshiva

These are dead simple to make. Take your costume to the fabric store and buy 1 metre/2ft of matching material in dance lycra (or stretch velvet or whatever fabric the costume is made of - but it does need to be stretch so if the costume isn't, buy the dance lycra). Buy matching sequins & beads (or if you can't, just go for some gold and silver, they will match with just about anything) and a spool of thin elastic. Make sure you pick up some all-purpose thread (NOT cotton) to match the fabric you bought.

Then if you're completely stumped, take the lot to a dressmaker and commission a pair.

Aniseteph

Looove orange costumes!

I've got a similar issue with red though, to match a dress that lost its original ones :(. I've been looking for vendors in a vague attempt to avoid making them myself, but haven't seen anything other than cheap Chinese ones off eBay. And even if I found some that didn't look as cheap as they are, colour matching and sizing is a lottery.

So I agree with Darshiva, get some made or do it yourself, then at least you have some control over the fabric and fit. IIRC Shira has something on making sleeves/gauntlets.

Choosing fabric gives you a lot more options too (metallics? powermesh?), and even if you can't find a perfect match you can use one that works anyway, and have some spare fabric/trim to bring a element of the sleeve into the rest of the costume and pull it all together.

(My stupid autocorrect is driving me crazy. So far it's changed Darshiva to Cardigan, Carnival, and Earshot, Shira to Shoes, and managed to mess up a whole sentence to the point that I had no idea what I was trying to write. Grrr:mad:)

Kristen

Went to Joanne's and found a nice orange stretch fabric that matches perfectly! I don't know how to sew unfortunately, but my boyfriend and my mom do - muahahahaha!

Aniseteph

Extra respect to anyone who can get a boyfriend involved in sewing costume pieces. My husband has long since been excused from having to do any belly dance related stuff, except listening to my tales from haflas and the like.

Finding the fabric is the hardest part, well done!