Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Belly dance at the bottom of the trough?

For a couple of years, I've felt like I'm sitting at the bottom of a trough with giant waves rising on each side of me, ready to come crashing down on all of belly dance. My classes hold steady at about nine participants, most diehard dancers who will get carted to their graves wearing bedlah and bling. Recently, however, I've had a couple of calls from former dancers who are thinking about coming back in the fall. This in addition to having a local RenFaire hire us for a faire in August almost gives me hope, though. Any evidence anywhere else that things may be beginning to look up?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know. Rakkasah west this year seemed - with emphasis on "seemed" to have a few more attendees than in the last several years.

Post Thanks / Like

So you're saying that Rakkasha West hasn't yet gone south?

I hope when BD does come back it will feature a return to more traditional styles and not so much "anything goes if it makes ya feel good" fusion and fantasy.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's picking up a little round here. My teacher is running a couple of beginner classes - dunno what the numbers are like but the fact that they happen at all is a step up from how it has been. The non-beginner group is drop in, so numbers go up and down by the week, especially once holiday season starts, but when they are up it's quite busy.

Hopefully some of the beginners will start trickling on up to that class and to workshops, and to diehard status .

Post Thanks / Like

It's across the board. Right now bellydance is more in the valley and overall, not just classes but events too, the interest has waned, as more people have either moved to other forms of dance, other forms of exercise or the "rage" is now in another area that people are veering towards.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, when you're at the bottom there is only one way ahead - up!
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

From your post to Goddess's ears.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't noticed a recent upswing myself - things have been barely grumbling along here for a awhile. Trends tend to come to Canada from the US, though, so I really hope there is an upward trend coming our way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    So you're saying that Rakkasha West hasn't yet gone south?
    Oh, its gone south - WAY south. Vendor count is probably half of what it was a few years back, they've abandoned the entire side halls that used to be stuffed with vendors, and not nearly as many are upstairs now either. Not nearly as many attendees either - although as I said, it "seemed" to have a few more folks there this year.
    I hope when BD does come back it will feature a return to more traditional styles and not so much "anything goes if it makes ya feel good" fusion and fantasy.
    WORD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Amen!

My hope is that a few years in the wilderness will weed out many of the dilettantes (who will move on to other, more trendy, pastimes), and leave a hard core of more dedicated dancers, who will still be here when the next wave of interest comes around.

In my little neck of the woods, things are still quiet (some classes are quietly fizzling out, some are still chugging along, and in my town there's only a single 'fun and fitness' type beginners class at the moment), and the big UK festivals are getting fewer every year.

On the other hand, I'm spoiled for choice for workshops and intensives this summer. So that's good. I can't really tell if beginner-level class attendance is picking up, but the scene is still healthy enough to provide plenty of interesting things for the long-term dancer, so we can certainly hold out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast