Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry - nothing like a hip drop. It should only go vertically and what makes a hip drop different from a hip lift or a plain old hip rock is timing. Although far from accurate, think: down, stop, sneak up ie fast down, a short pause and an unaccented return up.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. The animation looks to have too much side to side motion, like a dog waggling it's tail enthusiastically, and it's accentuated by the stiff skirt.

For hip drops think of the motion you'd get with a stringed puppet/marionette if you pulled only a string from the point of the hip straight up and then let it go. That's what is happening at the skeleton level. A live dancer has different ways of powering that movement and a variety of ways to change the feel of it, but as Kashmir says, the hip is dropping vertically.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the early days of the Internet, some web pages featured what was known as "animated dancing pages". They played background music, and had animated figures "dancing" to it.

So, of course, as the owner of one of the first belly dancing web sites out there, I felt an uncontrollable urge to play with creating my own animated dancing pages. Nowadays, I think I'd want to make some improvements to the quality of the graphics. At the time I created these, I used Adobe Illustrator to create the original cartoon and its modifications for creating the other stills to make the movement. I then used a stand-alone tool (which probably no longer exists) to assemble the individual panels into the animated gif. This was back in the days before software such as Poser existed.

Here are my specimens, from 1997 or 1998. The music links are broken, I need to fix them. But you can at least see the animations:

http://www.shira.net/animated-bellydancing.htm

http://www.shira.net/noahs-ark.htm

http://www.shira.net/noahs-ark2.htm

Post Thanks / Like

You are indeed a woman of many talents! (Insert applauding/kowtowing emoticons here).
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done Shira.

Post Thanks / Like

I had forgotten about those! They're still just "neat-o"!

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool Shira
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12