What is the purpose of navel jewels?

Kracko

I've grown fond of the idea of navel jewels but I was curious how it adds to a dance costume visually. What would be the difference if a dance costume did not feature a navel jewel or something like it etc.?

Daimona

Costumes don't come with belly button jewels and they have nothing to do with belly dancing.

Most dancers I've met or seen (both live or on video, and that includes pretty many during the 20 years I've been involved with this dance) don't wear them.

It's just a personal taste of bling like tatoos or earrings, hair style or color on nail polish etc.

Last edited:

Darshiva

I've grown fond of the idea of navel jewels but I was curious how it adds to a dance costume visually. What would be the difference if a dance costume did not feature a navel jewel or something like it etc.?

Personal body modification. Much like any other piercing.

Kracko

Oh I see. So it's just a stylistic choice. Not a main article of an outfit. Understood. Thank you so much!

Roshanna

Nobody wears them. I have never seen a bellydancer wear one, in 8 years of dancing.

Glued-on jewels and other forms of navel covering were used in costuming for mid 20th century American films (and films intended for the American market) because it was forbidden to show the navel as part of the Motion Picture Production Code, which was enforced in the US between the early 1930s and the early 1960s. http://www.shira.net/costuming/navel-jewel.htm

They have never been a traditional or 'authentic' part of bellydance costuming, and they have long since become irrelevant and outdated. Some dancers do have piercings, but that's their own fashion choice, and no more relevant to the dance form than having their ears pierced. To be honest, the only people who still think navel jewels are 'a thing' in bellydance these days seem to be the men with navel fetishes who periodically turn up and try to get bellydancers to talk about them.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
It varies widely by locale too. A large percentage of the dancers in my area (Monterey, Ca) have pierced navels and/or tattoos, especially lower back tattoos. Other places do too, and other places don't as well. Just depends on the local culture.

Kracko

Nobody wears them. Glued-on jewels and other forms of navel covering were used in costuming for mid 20th century American films (and films intended for the American market) because it was forbidden to show the navel as part of the Motion Picture Production Code, which was enforced in the US between the early 1930s and the early 1960s. They have never been a traditional or 'authentic' part of bellydance costuming, and they have long since become irrelevant and outdated. Some dancers do have piercings

I had no clue. So that type of article isn't authentic at all? That's very interesting to hear. I'll make sure to steer clear of them for animation/art purposes. Thank you for the comment!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
So that type of article isn't authentic at all?
Not in the slightest. Once in a while you'll see one, usually as part of a comedic schtick of one sort or another. "I Dream of Jeanie", complete with Barbara Eden harem outfits, belly jewels, and the music of course. Can be fun if done well, terrible if not!

Shanazel

I wore a "jewel" in my belly button once thirty-seven years ago as a joke. I forgot it was there when I dressed to go home. When I was getting ready for bed that night, I pulled my shirt out of the waistband of my jeans, which dislodged the "jewel" with some force, causing it to take a short flight through the air to bop my boyfriend on the nose. Very romantic.

How's that for TMI? :lol:

Amulya

I had a friend who would often glue a massive stone on her navel, like huge! It would cover her whole navel. I didn't like the look. The only things I have seen more often were piercings, but a minority of dancers do that.