Help with classes in nyc

mteran13

Hi!

I am looking for a belly dance school or teacher in NYC where I can actually go forward quickly. Right now I am going to Serena Studios but I feel it is going too slow and every class we do the same. I am a beginner level.

Any suggestions??

Thank you

mteran13

I started in January 2016, I went to classes January and February and I had to stop. I returned this month (june)

Shanazel

The desire to move forward quickly without a solid foundation in the basics can destroy a newbie dancer quick as a physical injury ever did.

Learning to dance is not just a matter of learning many different movements quickly. It's a matter of patience and dedication, of learning to move properly, maintaining good posture and positioning, and repeating what one has learned until it is so much a part of oneself that not a single thought has to be given to those things again. Then, and only then, one is ready to take the next step. A poor teacher will do something new in class each week and turn out "dancers" at the end of an eight week course. A good teacher understands the concept of training and will let a student know when she is ready to move to the next level.

The desire to dance comes from one's heart and mind. The desire to move on quickly comes from one's ego. One can easily trip on an ego that gets in the way.

Farasha Hanem

The desire to move forward quickly without a solid foundation in the basics can destroy a newbie dancer quick as a physical injury ever did.

Learning to dance is not just a matter of learning many different movements quickly. It's a matter of patience and dedication, of learning to move properly, maintaining good posture and positioning, and repeating what one has learned until it is so much a part of oneself that not a single thought has to be given to those things again. Then, and only then, one is ready to take the next step. A poor teacher will do something new in class each week and turn out "dancers" at the end of an eight week course. A good teacher understands the concept of training and will let a student know when she is ready to move to the next level.

The desire to dance comes from one's heart and mind. The desire to move on quickly comes from one's ego. One can easily trip on an ego that gets in the way.

THIS. ^ I've been taking classes since 2007 (we're taking a hiatus at the moment, though), and in my experience, it's always beneficial for me to go back to the very beginning and learn the basics again. Sometimes, after awhile, we may fall into bad habits or lose technique, so "getting back to basics" can strengthen good habits.

Be patient. :) We didn't learn how to walk and talk overnight. It takes time to learn to dance.

Last edited:

Darshiva

Hi!

I am looking for a belly dance school or teacher in NYC where I can actually go forward quickly. Right now I am going to Serena Studios but I feel it is going too slow and every class we do the same. I am a beginner level.

Any suggestions??

Thank you

My suggestion is that you be patient. It sounds like your teacher is making sure you have a good solid foundation in the basics before moving you on. Going fast can lead to injury - or worse, BAD DANCING! Do yourself a favour and stick with this teacher. It sounds like you're on to a winner.

Selene

Hello and welcome!!!

I understand what you are feeling as I had the same idea before starting to take classes. I was fascinated with belly dance and I thought I was a good dancer in other genres so this one would come easy to me... When I was looking for my first teacher I made sure to find one that had a clear outline of all the levels and that will take me little time to become a professional dancer with. I found a teacher that had 3 month programs for every level and then a graduation. PERFECT!

Except not. It wasn't perfect, it wasn't even close to good. And I'm talking about a very famous teacher and popular school in here, but I knew it wasn't going to work right in the first class. Why? The class was going too fast, we started right away with the choreography for the graduation, before even talking about posture, about some basic moves or the style we were working with. She just showed, we repeated. I was also very lucky that in that specific day a student from intermediate level was in the class, you know, after she completed her 3 months in basic and I honestly couldn't see any difference in "level" in what she was doing and what the others were doing. By the second class I was feeling very sad because I really wanted to learn this dance but it wasn't working.

Thankfully I found a great teacher after that, and she has been my teacher and mentor for two and a half years now, and it couldn't have been better. After two years I started intermediate level classes, but the name of the level or moving forward fast was no longer in my mind. I have started performing already, only because my teacher thought I was ready, but the same way she has given me the oportunity to perform (she also always suggests I go to workshops and study, practice and learn as much as I can, and I don't think I can't take advantage of the experience of other dancers if I move forward too fast). We always go back to basics, and one class doesn't really cover too much. The only time when we go fast is when we are first learning a choreo. To be honest I wish I could continue taking classes forever, I learn so much all the time that my little brain needs a lot of notepads to keep up, even if we are repeating the same moves and going back to basics, there is always something to learn if you pay attention.

Your teacher sounds like she is doing a good job, I would say what the others have said already, stay with her :)

And sorry for the long reply, I just wanted to share my experience as a baby dancer as I felt you might relate to it

Farasha Hanem

Hello and welcome!!!

I understand what you are feeling as I had the same idea before starting to take classes. I was fascinated with belly dance and I thought I was a good dancer in other genres so this one would come easy to me... When I was looking for my first teacher I made sure to find one that had a clear outline of all the levels and that will take me little time to become a professional dancer with. I found a teacher that had 3 month programs for every level and then a graduation. PERFECT!

Except not. It wasn't perfect, it wasn't even close to good. And I'm talking about a very famous teacher and popular school in here, but I knew it wasn't going to work right in the first class. Why? The class was going too fast, we started right away with the choreography for the graduation, before even talking about posture, about some basic moves or the style we were working with. She just showed, we repeated. I was also very lucky that in that specific day a student from intermediate level was in the class, you know, after she completed her 3 months in basic and I honestly couldn't see any difference in "level" in what she was doing and what the others were doing. By the second class I was feeling very sad because I really wanted to learn this dance but it wasn't working.

Thankfully I found a great teacher after that, and she has been my teacher and mentor for two and a half years now, and it couldn't have been better. After two years I started intermediate level classes, but the name of the level or moving forward fast was no longer in my mind. I have started performing already, only because my teacher thought I was ready, but the same way she has given me the oportunity to perform (she also always suggests I go to workshops and study, practice and learn as much as I can, and I don't think I can't take advantage of the experience of other dancers if I move forward too fast). We always go back to basics, and one class doesn't really cover too much. The only time when we go fast is when we are first learning a choreo. To be honest I wish I could continue taking classes forever, I learn so much all the time that my little brain needs a lot of notepads to keep up, even if we are repeating the same moves and going back to basics, there is always something to learn if you pay attention.

Your teacher sounds like she is doing a good job, I would say what the others have said already, stay with her :)

And sorry for the long reply, I just wanted to share my experience as a baby dancer as I felt you might relate to it

I can't like this post enough. We need a Multi-Like button!

KhezlaDurr33

Hi!

Any suggestions??

Thank you
In 1975-1977 I was teaching Serena technique based on her book, in Columbia MO. I was not a franchised studio, everything I learned was self-taught from her book, The Serena Technique of Belly Dancing. With a weekly lesson and practice at home, no time off for summer, I took students from beginning through advanced/professional in 14 months. You might try buying her book from Amazon, it's still available but I would recommend the hardback.

KhezlaDurr33

I own a copy. Its a pretty darn good book, and I have huge respect for Serena.
Paul Monty said Serena was THE teacher of belly dance. That was a huge compliment considering how many dance teachers he knew and hired for his workshops -- btw he was the first one to do workshops in belly dance, I think he got that idea from Dance Masters of America. He taught tap and ballet to children.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
An interesting anecdote. I had an old skool dance sister and sometime teacher in California who knew a particular veil trick that I've never seen done elsewhere. Involves wrapping the veil around the head whilst hidden in a spin, tucking it in, and being able to dance hands free while the veil is now a head wrap and face veil. Kinda hard to explain, but its not the usual way where the dancer has to hold the veil in position behind the head.

In any event, my dance sister mentioned that she had learned this from Serena. I never could get it, so I recently contacted one of the older instructors at the Serena school in NYC. She knew exactly what I was talking about, and - get this - was able to talk me through it over the phone! That right there is darn impressive, even more so considering I'm a class A1+ Klutz and she was still able to impart this technique. I've been practicing on and off ever since, but am in no way ready to take this to the stage as yet, but at least I have the core idea.

Shanazel

Serena Wilson was a classic and so is her book. I still have the small, original paperback I bought in the seventies. It's one of the few things I didn't sell or give away when I retired a couple of years ago.

Ariadne

It arrived Monday. I got really excited, then put it on my shelf to read once I’m finished with these dang masks. I’m still not done. I’m looking forward to finishing for more then one reason now.