Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: direction

Post Thanks / Like

Default direction

I'm sorry if I've posted this issue before but would love some input. Right now I feel lost and kind of just blah all over with my BD Direction. I'm not sure what I want to to study and how to move forward.
    To make belly dance gains so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you start out in this dance? What drew you to it, and what have you studied so far? What were your past goals, and did you meet them? Maybe by going over the past, you might get a clearer view of what you want to achieve in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you just need a vacation. Take a class in something completely different for a while- hip hop, ballet, flamenco, tap, pole dancing. In agriculture, fields benefit from a fallow period. Dance might as well.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Farasha ~ not sure how I started out. My mom and grandma showed me belly dancers because of my heritage. but, belly dancing isn't native to my father's country lol

I've always had this "je ne sais pas" attraction to belly dance. some electric vibe that I just can't describe

as for style, I had no real idea on what I learned in the begeinning years. It might have been modern am cab and maybe with some egyptian influences?

Right now I'm going back to a beginner belly dance dvd. BUT its not for baby beginners. For those who have some basics down. I have realized I need to touch up on my 3/4 shimmies

but coming up for 6 weeks i'm taking an online intensive with Rosa Noreen about ballet for belly dancing. maybe this will be my chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Oooooooooo, I want to take that same intensive, but don't have the money now. Hopefully it will get your creative juices flowing again. Rosa is fantastic; I have her All About Arms instructional DVD. Enjoy the intensive!

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean about the Blah factor. I would love something to get excited about, but belly-dance wise I am as about as directionless as it is possible to get.

Post Thanks / Like

One dvd set I always come back to is Ranya Renee's baladi set. I dance Raqs Sharqi so much better, especially accents. yay.

I get distracted easily so I think i'll do that. go back to some of my more advanced beginner dvds. actually finish them lol.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want something really different, try Turkish 9/8 style, as that is almost a dance venue in itself. But I think we've all had this rut time at one point or another.

As an aside, I am currently studying flamenco, and as much as I believe flamenco descended from bellydance, it is a huge challenge. There is no possible way any six week wonders can come out of flamenco!

Post Thanks / Like

I did a double take at the term "rut time." I suspect the meaning that immediately comes to my mind as a biologist who lives close to the outdoors and bugling elks is different than that which comes to the mind of a lady from Chicago.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    If you want something really different, try Turkish 9/8 style, as that is almost a dance venue in itself.
    Turkish 9/8 is hard! @____@

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast