Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: direction

Post Thanks / Like

I am just coming back from what you are entering now. I fell out of love with BD 2 years ago and ended up taking a complete 2 year hiatus. No music, no dancing, nada. I waited until I got the draw back for just bellydance in general. Then I started taking a tribal fusion 5 week class to see how I felt after that. I started looking at different styles videos, listening to different styles of music. I've just got my dance spark smoldering again. I am leaving the style I used to dance (only one here to learn at the time) for 8 years behind and now focusing on learning Tribal Fusion.

You might just have to take a break from everything and then come back with a fresh perspective. Not necessarily have to be off long like me, but might be worth it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

I was in a 'blah' stage and am just starting to emerge from it now. What has helped me get unstuck... Hmm. Having some breaks from my day job and daily routine, which has given me some space to unwind and reflect a bit. Going to a week-long intensive course learning difficult choreography to perform, which kicked me out of some of my automatic dance habits. Taking some workshops with teachers I haven't studied with before. Taking on a new private student who is incredibly enthusiastic and loves all the Arabic music I play for her (including the Oum Kalthoum!) and starting to reconsider teaching weekly classes again, which has made me think more about how I plan my practise and how I conceptualise dance... And taking some private lessons with my dance mentor again after a bit of a hiatus, which has given me a clear list of things to work towards, and some evidence of solid progress over the last year even though I feel like I've been in a rut.
    Last edited by Roshanna; 08-09-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you all for the advice.

I"m taking Rosa Noreens' Ballet for Belly Dancers Online Intensive. It is intense. and its harder than I thought it would be but its great and my dancing is changing, hopefully for the better. My ankles are getting stronger. my releve is getting so much better. among other things

so its working great. Directiong can be hard when I'm working on my own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12