Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Aand I'm different and prefer the heavier ones. 5-6mm is what I use most, but I also love my heavier silk veils (8mm). 4 mm silk is too light to my preferences. I don't do half circle veils, but I do double veil work with rectangular ones and usually look for silk veils that comes in matching pairs...

What matters most to me is how it feels to dance with. It might be washable, flowy, soft to the skin and long-lasting in great colors, but if it doesn't work with my dance style it won't be used....
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perfectfan View Post
    In the order of most to least, which of the following features of belly dance silk veil do you care?
    A~Good colors: vibrant and good gradation
    B~light weight, floating
    C~long lasting: no twisted silk or holes
    D~softness, skin-friendly
    E~washable.
    I'm like Faresha, for me it's B and D that are the most important. After that I would probably go A, E, and then C.

I like a good floaty veil and have very sensitive skin so it's easy to see why B and D would be my top two. I have never really used a heavier weight veil though so I have no idea if I would like them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi perfectfan! Silk Bamboo is my go-to source for anything silk, please keep up the great work!

I actually prefer 8mm veils. True, they are not quite as floaty but I find the extra weight makes them move better - they behave better, are less prone to static. The ones I have are also more beautifully dyed with more vibrant colors than my 5mm veils. I never wash my veils, I will just spot clean them if they get a bit of lip gloss or something on them. I expect the dye to stand up to a bit of gentle spot cleaning and not run if the veil gets wet.

An additional consideration is price. There are truly amazing veils out there which fullfill all the points on your list, but I can't afford to spend $150 on a veil very often

My order is:

* Good colors: vibrant and good gradation
    * Price
    * long lasting: no twisted silk or holes
    * light weight, floating
    * softness, skin-friendly
    * washable.

Post Thanks / Like

My priorities would be the same as Asra's. I don't think I've ever "recovered" from my flamenco training - in flamenco you do similar moves with a shawl that you'd do with a veil in belly dance, BUT a flamenco shawl is much, much heavier and therefore the effect is quite different. I still love feeling the weight of a heavier veil.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I might have to backtrack a bit. :/ I recently acquired a couple of veils that I think are 8mm silk, but I'm not certain (one of the dancers I bought from isn't sure, either, the other one hasn't gotten back with me yet). I noticed my two new veils are more vibrant in color, and not as fragile as my 5mm veils. They're not as soft, but soft enough, and even though they're heavier, the difference in the float of the fabric is so minuscule, it doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, I still (and will always love) my 5mm veils for the reasons I stated before, but I think I'll be adding a few more heavier veils for their beauty and durability.

Heavy or light, as long as the silk and the colors used to dye them are of high-quality, I'm a happy dancer!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, the second dancer (who is also a silk vendor) got back with me, and let me know that the veil she sold me is 5mm. 0.o It feels a lot more durable, though. o.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12