Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    A few years ago someone on here (I couldn't find the old thread) ranted about teachers using non-middle-eastern music to teach their students and how they were doing them a disservice. I found it an interesting conversation at the time but now I just want to say, I get it.
    THAT might have been me... >.>;;; *curls up into the fetal position and twitches at the thought of "Hips Don't Lie"*

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, dear, there she goes twitching again. Could someone get Farasha a nice glass of ice tea and a bottle of clonazepam while I put Hossam Ramzy on the stereo?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody, come on and sing along: Lamma badaaa yathathanna... Lamma badaa yathathanna...
    Last edited by Daimona; 07-29-2016 at 05:16 PM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I've probably had a rant or two about using the right music too, Farasha.

I now have Hips Don't Lie fighting Lama Bada in my brain (woah, the autocorrect had problems with Lama Bada. Although it seems to have got the hang of it now. I love educating my tablet ).

I once sat through a group doing a 10 minute Shakira medley; at least it felt that long. Not cool.

I've seen some Things, man... <sits under table with Farasha, gibbering incomprehensibly and having flashbacks>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I now have Hips Don't Lie fighting Lama Bada in my brain

(Thank Goddess I've only got Lamma Bada in my brain right now and can't even remember that Shakira-song)
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Oh, dear, there she goes twitching again. Could someone get Farasha a nice glass of ice tea and a bottle of clonazepam while I put Hossam Ramzy on the stereo?
    Chocolate!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind some of the cool techno stuff coming out of the middle east. Actually, I'd go so far as to say I like it. And there are definitely arguments for using that music as a bridging mechanism for dancers who, due to the political climate in their country *coughaustraliacough*, are resistant to anything middle eastern but STILL want to bellydance. It becomes a lesson in diplomacy.

I wouldn't recommend using techno & ME-west fusion in oriental classes but it definitely has its place in the classroom, and should be deployed thoughtfully.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post

I once sat through a group doing a 10 minute Shakira medley; at least it felt that long. Not cool.

I've seen some Things, man... <sits under table with Farasha, gibbering incomprehensibly and having flashbacks>
    Oh, honey, I am so sorry. That sort of thing can scar a person for life. Have a couple of chocolate covered clonazepam while I go get another glass of tea.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

*gratefully takes chocolate and tea, and shares with Aniseteph*

If done well, I like the more Westernized stuff, under certain circumstances. They make a great warm-up, and they can be a guilty pleasure, but when you have to put up with Shakira EVERY WEEK, sometimes repeated two or three times a class, it can make a person want to murder kittens! >______<;;;

ESPECIALLY Shakira... >.> #notaShakirafan

Post Thanks / Like

Then there's the stuff that's definitely middle eastern - and even GOOD middle eastern - that has been so overplayed that its like fingernails on a chalkboard. My favorite to biotch about is "Sahra Saeeda" (drum solo). It is a VERY nice drum solo, it really is, - but I hear it at least 10 times at Rakkasah every year, and at least 2 or 3 times at just about every smaller festival and halfa I attend. It makes me want to strangle myself with my veil!
    Last edited by Zorba; 07-30-2016 at 02:35 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast