Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Teaching & Music

A few years ago someone on here (I couldn't find the old thread) ranted about teachers using non-middle-eastern music to teach their students and how they were doing them a disservice. I found it an interesting conversation at the time but now I just want to say, I get it.

As you know I just came from a Renaissance Faire and while there I was introduced to a delightful school/troop. They had all ages of students from little children, to teens, to adults. Their form was excellent and it was obvious that they were well taught. It was a pleasure to watch the more advanced students and I couldn't help but "awww" at the little ones. Unfortunately the beginning students performed to dance club music. Forgoing the whole being at a Ren Faire and hearing dance club music the dichotomy between the music, their costuming, and the style just about broke me (with the exception of moments of complete cuteness).

The worst part was that they could have been so much better with the right music. The musicality just was not there. You could see them going through the mental instructions of so many of X to this side then followed by... there was no connection between the music and the dancing other then staying on beat. These were some really talented girls with potential and a solid support of family and classmates. Why couldn't they have been taught with music that matched the style of dance?

Post Thanks / Like

Word.

Post Thanks / Like

Why couldn't they have been taught with music that matched the style of dance?
    <sigh> I would say that I don't know, but it's probably something along the lines of making it "accessible" for them. .

I'd take a certain amount of 4 left/ 4 right/ try not to let the counting show as par for the course for a beginner group, but ITA that the more pop/ dance club it gets the less scope for any musicality whatsoever. Like those techno-ified versions of Enta Omri, or anything Hooked On Classics where they take a bunch of well-known classical tunes and stick a disco beat behind them. Kills it instantly and stomps all over it's soul, IMHO.

Belly dance styling apart, how rude to inflict Wrong Music on people at a Ren Faire. IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain.

Post Thanks / Like

What an odd choice for a Ren Faire! I'm not strongly opposed to using modern mixes of classics for certain applications, there are some of them I like, but I think at a Ren Faire of all places you would choose to use acoustic music, or at least something without a dance club backbeat!

I do agree that students should be introduced as much non-Westernized bellydance as possible. There are choices that are "accessible" that still have integrity and connection to bellydance roots.

Post Thanks / Like

At the RenFaire in August, my gals are going traditional... except for one modern Turkish piece that we planned in order to see if anyone is actually paying attention.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you guys Shanazel.

Any chance of some videos?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't even thought about videos; I'm still trying to get the organizers to tell me what they have for a sound system. I'm beginning to think "organizers" is a relative term. Probably someone will have a camera phone that takes videos. Heck, I may even have one but have no idea how to use it. (Checks) Yep, I do.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe some of your students have a video camera and is willing to give you a copy of it after the performance?
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my students is getting married at an SCA event this Saturday. Her adoring husband-to-be has a video camera. We'll just force him to video everyone instead of just Candy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast