Help! How do I save my hip scarf? :'(

Farasha Hanem

Lately, I've been taking an inventory of my dance costumes and accessories, and have found forgotten treasures, including my favorite hip scarf that I haven't worn for years, because the beautiful beading started unraveling. :( I'd quickly put it in a ziplock bag so as to not lose any more beads, and sorrowfully tucked it away, hoping to someday find the time to repair it.

I pulled it out earlier this evening, only to become discouraged. I'm not sure, but I think the thread is too fragile for me to attempt a repair myself, and as I gently lifted the thread to examine it better, a bit more came unraveled, so I put it away again. :( What do I do? I love this scarf, and the beading is a lot of the reason why I do. :(

IMG_9842.jpg

IMG_9845.jpg

The second photo shows the damage. :( I don't know why it started unraveling there; I would have thought the beads closer to the ties would have become damaged, first.

Here is the info on what the scarf is made of:

image.jpg

Last edited:

Darshiva

If you know how to crochet then you have the necessary skills to repair it (once you find the right instructions). If not, you'll need to send it to someone with that particular skill to do the repair. I am definitely not that person. ;)

Shanazel

Well, nuts, the power has been going off and on all morning and zapped my reply.

The scarf fringe isn't crocheted; it is knotted. Bugle beads are notorious for cutting thread so it is no wonder the thread broke. It isn't a difficult pattern to rebead: it is done in rows and the bottom row is the broken one.

Somewhere in Oklahoma City there is a bead shop with a proprietor who knows how to bead fringe; I'll bet you could hire her or him to repair the scarf. No idea what it might cost. Another choice is to gather your courage and your beads and do it yourself. There are tutorials on bead work all over the internet and this is not a complex pattern.

If all else fails, I could do it for you if you are in no big hurry to get the scarf back. I am backed up on projects right now and it would be months before I could get around to it.

Farasha Hanem

Thank you, Darshiva and Shan. I'll look more online. YouTube didn't seem to be a big help.

I'll try and tackle it after I learn more about knotwork. Would nylon thread be a better choice than cotton thread?

Shanazel

Oooooo, how irritating! I wrote you a lovely set of suggestions then my computer zapped off the internet.

Grrrr.

Nylon beading thread is sturdier than cotton and you will want fine needles; I like the shorter ones as opposed to the very long ones.

When you start messing with the scarf, get a big piece of felt and lay it on a table with the scarf and trim on top. This will keep your beads from rolling all over the place, will support the trim, and keep the scarf from slipping arund as you work. Try looking under "netting beaded fringe" when you are looking for videos. Here is a good site than explains the basic pattern on your scarf: http://www.fusionbeads.com/Basic-Netting.

PS: Warning! The technique is addictive. Once you get it down, you'll find yourself putting beaded fringe on everything from dance scarves to tea towels.

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

*GASP!!!* THANK YOU, Shanazel! :D I'll save this video and buy a light piece of felt and beading needles tomorrow when I go back to work. Hugs! :D

Darshiva

Well, nuts, the power has been going off and on all morning and zapped my reply.

The scarf fringe isn't crocheted; it is knotted. Bugle beads are notorious for cutting thread so it is no wonder the thread broke. It isn't a difficult pattern to rebead: it is done in rows and the bottom row is the broken one.

Somewhere in Oklahoma City there is a bead shop with a proprietor who knows how to bead fringe; I'll bet you could hire her or him to repair the scarf. No idea what it might cost. Another choice is to gather your courage and your beads and do it yourself. There are tutorials on bead work all over the internet and this is not a complex pattern.

If all else fails, I could do it for you if you are in no big hurry to get the scarf back. I am backed up on projects right now and it would be months before I could get around to it.

I did say I wasn't the person to do it. lol!

Last edited:

Shanazel

Well, you weren't so far from wrong since so many scarves have crocheted fringe. My favorite back and gold scarf does and I've been putting off mending it for a coon's age because I'm not sure how to go about it.