Ten years since the Great Hack

Shanazel

Anyone remember the Great Hack of July 2006? I had been a member for several years at that point but the "official" date on my avatar coincides with that event. Salome told me once that Amulya was the first person to sign up for the OD forum. Anyone else from those days? I'm so encouraged to seeing folks like Ariadne and Diana coming back around.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I vaguely remember it, it would have been right after the "Coffee Table Performance" fiasco at Rakkasah 2006 so I'm sure it was being discussed here at that time.

Farasha Hanem

I didn't join until September 2007, so all that was before my time. I'm glad to see Ariadne and Diana back, too. :)

Coffee table performance at Rakkasah? o.0

Last edited:

Aniseteph

IIRC I joined pre Great Hack, but only just. I do remember the coffee table thing, and it being super difficult to find any pictures to see what everyone was on about. I once saw a pic of the same act (i think...) which looked like one great big WTH? for a family friendly dance event. But it did not include the mysterious coffee table.

Ariadne

Ohhh I heard about that nearly three years later when I started dancing. But yeah, I wasn't around yet.

Shanazel

:shok: THAT I remember but "coffee table" was not the first phrase that came to mind in reference to the, um, event.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Great hack? Coffee table performance at Rakkasa? Never heard of these, what happened.

......WTH did I just look at!?!? My eyes they burn like a thousand suns

Shanazel

OD got hacked in 2006. It took us offline for some time and caused Salome no end of trouble to get us back on. That's why so many of us have join dates in July 2006. I had been part of OD for several years at the time. Amulya had been here even longer as had Zorba and Aniseteph. Stand and be counted, survivors. ;)

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
OD got hacked in 2006. It took us offline for some time and caused Salome no end of trouble to get us back on. That's why so many of us have join dates in July 2006. I had been part of OD for several years at the time. Amulya had been here even longer as had Zorba and Aniseteph. Stand and be counted, survivors. ;)

I still have the image the Islamic group posted when they hacked the site - I'll try to dig it up.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Found it!

m.jpg

Shanazel

huh! Don't recall that one so thanks for sharing. I have a vague memory of a grainy black and white photo.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
huh! Don't recall that one so thanks for sharing. I have a vague memory of a grainy black and white photo.
I could be confused - it isn't hard - but I seem to recall that picture being on the "main page" of the hacked site. *shrug*

Shanazel

I'm not questioning you, Zorba, I promise, especially since I am not exactly renowned up and down the Rocky Mountains for my good memory. I'm impressed that you thought to save the picture.