Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bhuz is dead? Are we the last survivor?

So, curious how bhuz is faring in the dearth of forums, I just popped over to see where they are at and bhuz is no longer. This is not new news to those of you who also participated there... but I am a little shocked to be honest. Jennifer James created Bhuz (late '90's?) and operated it for many years. She is a fellow Oregonian, I've known her and her mother for 20 something years... My forum and site were not yet a twinkle in my eye when Jennifer was getting Bhuz going. I remember her creating threads and trying to post in them and get people to join. Years later when she wanted to sell it I contemplated the purchase. OD.net was newish and I thought about merging. Are there any belly dance forums left besides us?
    Like the forum on Facebook ~ Follow me on Pinterest and Twitter ~ We appreciate support of this forum through ads, shopping, and donations.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea.
    I only visit this forum and we're alive! Yaaay!
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Salome.

A few forae came up when I checked including Fat Chance but none of the ones I looked at seem to be very active. I'm off to a RenFaire with my students in five minutes but I'll wander around the internet a bit when I get back home. Curiosity drives me.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't understand the "why" of the death of BD fora. I have a lot of interests, and I participate in a LOT of fora - ALL of which are thriving, except for Belly Dance. I know BD is in one of its "valleys" of popularity right now, but I don't think that's the all of it as far as fora go... *shrug*

Post Thanks / Like

My theory of the moment is that the late big wave of BD fora was driven by people who didn't know a lot or care a lot about middle eastern dance beyond dressing up in fanciful costumes, expressing themselves to inappropriate music, and assuming that any choreography that included a hip articulation could be called belly dance. Newbie dancers have always pushed the limits of BD but this last wave took off into the realm of the absurd (flaming balls on cords and ten inch steel nails) and downright offensive (coffee table dance, anyone?).

Maybe it all boils down to: the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Bhuzz was so many things to so many people that it collapsed under its own weight. OD was and is a more conservative belly dance site with a high proportion of longtime members believing that belly dance actually has parameters and a serious learning curve. A narrower tolerance for terpsichorean self-indulgence meant fewer platforms for the same and fewer people interested in those platforms to begin with.

We're beginning to see dancers wander back in after months or years of serious reflection on where they as dancers want to go next. Others are expressing dissatisfaction with current paths and looking to renew themselves and their dedication to belly dance. These are signs of rebirth and renewal and the next wave of belly dance.

And that's my quarter's worth of dance philosophy for this evening.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I have often felt that BD goes through the cycles it does because of skanky and/or bad dancing. Or just trying to fuse or incorporate other styles. A troupe I was involved with self-destructed partly due to a couple of members wanting to do burly and couldn't understand why they couldn't do it under the aegis of BD. Sigh...

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh that is a bit of a shock (that Bhuz has gone) I haven't visited for a couple of years though. I stopped going when it became more of a costumes for sale site, maybe that changed, but I didn't stop by to find out. To me it seemed more geared to US dancers. OD is more international and IMO more welcoming to all.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Its been gone for quite a while! I was a Bhuzaholic, but it gradually slowed down and eventually stopped dead in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't visit Bhuz much; found it overwhelming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I didn't visit Bhuz much; found it overwhelming.
    Neither did I. The flashy .gifs triggered my migraines. It was too busy, too much, and too confusing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast