Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Roshanna. I suspected they might be... of course, I always suspect the validity of dance histories.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roshanna View Post
    Interestingly, my partner is an ancient historian who wrote his doctoral thesis on the Roman Mediterranean (and specifically the Roman imperial fleets, including in Egypt), and actually what you say about the Mediterranean being one interconnected region seems to be a very mainstream view amongst professional historians, at least in the context of the ancient world.
    Exactly, that's where I ran into the idea. Not the books you mention specifically but when I started diving into the more serious historical writings and thesis on ancient history. It's been fascinating comparing what I find of ancient history to modern history once I take migration patterns into account. It's actually possible to track cultural concepts and attitudes from then to now. It amazes me how these patterns just keep repeating. So when you take into account that the European concept of a desirable "Classical Education", based in part on Antiquity, emerged from the Renaissance to become the foundation of what we learn today (or at least what my parents learned) it's no surprise that some of the concepts from the ancient world are still floating around in the public consciousness.

On a complete aside I learned in the last few years that there was a similar community history centered around the North Sea. I'm sure that comes as no shock to anyone living around that area but for someone who has had a decidedly Norman slanted education of European history (myself) it was enlightening. Right now I'm trying to find any information I can that shows the similarities and differences culturally in the area from early medieval times up. I'm having difficulty though as most resources I've found deal almost exclusively with Ireland, Scotland, and Wales which is only a fraction of the bigger picture. I'm sure only being able to read English isn't helping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Speaking of dance history, one of my embroidery design students just sent me a book called "Grandmother's Secrets: The Ancient Rituals and Healing Power of Belly Dance" by Rosina-Faawzia Al-Rawi. Said she saw it at a book sale and thought I should have it. Such a sweetie and what good timing, hmm? Has anyone read it?
    Interesting example of fake history and feminist myths - plus some suspect kinesiology. But maybe some of it is real - as in factual. Hard to know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123