Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Freaking Victorians. Amazing that he could even bring himself to write the word, "stomach."
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, different cultures. I actually really enjoyed reading his discriptions and perspective. The traditional group performances were interesting. Another solo that sounded similar to a taxim was mesmerizing and graceful. The stomach dance with its staccato movements? Nah, didnít like it.

Considering that they were still waltzing in England at the time, well... At least his descriptions were respectful of the dancers. Some of the descriptions Iíve run into from that time decidedly werenít.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooo, a closet Victorian! Do you recall the name of the book?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome guesswork. I've also been to lectures where some stated it began in India but I think that's more of the "gypsy" style (sorry to use that slur). I think you've got a good handle on the Ottoman theory in that the style we see today was pretty much assembled in the Ottoman time.

Post Thanks / Like

I've also heard that the time in Spain between the tenth and thirteenth centuries, where Jews, Spaniards, Moroccans and Berbers lived together was the precursor to the later Ottoman form of bellydance. That's more of where flamenco came about but with many of the Spanish forms of dancing, I can see the "embryos" of bellydance.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you give me some examples? I only have a passing familiarity with flamenco and none with the other Spanish dances.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Ooo, a closet Victorian! Do you recall the name of the book?
    Maybe just a little? I have some real beefs with Victorian societies classism and the late 19th century scientific community in general- I will spare you my rants however. I love history though and am a big believer in understanding people in the context of their own society and culture. On the other hand I am a huge fan of Jules Verne, Nikola Tesla, and Steampunk re-imagining. Steampunk Victorianna clothes are the bomb.

I don't know the name of the book; I could drag it up from an archived conversation here if you want to know badly enough? I wasn't able to read the entire thing. It was a digital scan on googlebooks (maybe?). I read a good chunk of the book on my first viewing and was able to refer people to it to begin with but after a few months it wouldn't let me access that part of the book any more and only showed some sample pages. I guess they changed how access worked or something? It was around the time they started charging in order to access their books on file.

Post Thanks / Like

I love history though and am a big believer in understanding people in the context of their own society and culture.

This absolutely. I'm joking about the Victorians... more or less. Most of the characters I reenact are Victorians or Edwardians. They got around and invented a bunch of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

PS I'll tool around and see if I can find the title of the book; Just wondered if you recalled off the top of your head.

Post Thanks / Like

ohhhh You reenact Victorian and Edwardian characters? How? Where? I would LOVE that! Well I prefer steampunk over accurate reenactments of that time period but still that is SO cool.

(Am I getting to far off topic?)

PS. No, sorry. Last time it took me a couple of hours to track it down.

Post Thanks / Like

I started doing it in the elementary schools about ten years ago for something called the Discover Program. Joined a local theater group for a year or two and ended up doing reenactments for historical organizations and museums. Went to Germany and Belgium with the children's theater group and did a reenactment for some of the older kids in international schools who were learning English. Came home, left the group, and began doing programs for OLLI, which stands for Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. It's tons of fun, and pays pretty well once the initial non-billable research time and writing are done. Highly recommend it. Also have taught belly dance though OLLI and in fact will be teaching a debke class tomorrow night... which brings us back on topic, right?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast