Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ensemble costumes

Dancing aside, I like these ensemble costumes. Having variations in white guarantees visual unity while allowing personal expression and costumes to suit every body.

Costume discussion, please. Are variations on a theme a good thing or do you prefer all ensemble dancers to dress exactly alike?

"Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

How about this group? Innovative but tacky is my conclusion. I especially disliked the spinning mushroom effect at the opening; they looked like they had bags over their heads. I might've liked the costumes a little better had the colors not been so bold... but not much.

"Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    How about this group? Innovative but tacky is my conclusion. I especially disliked the spinning mushroom effect at the opening; they looked like they had bags over their heads. I might've liked the costumes a little better had the colors not been so bold... but not much.

o_____0

No. Just. No. >.>

Post Thanks / Like

Dancing aside, I like these ensemble costumes. Having variations in white guarantees visual unity while allowing personal expression and costumes to suit every body.

Costume discussion, please. Are variations on a theme a good thing or do you prefer all ensemble dancers to dress exactly alike?

If I were to nitpick on these, I would choose a matte fabric for the one satin skirt and not so much fluff in one of the other skirts. Just nitpicks.
    They have still been clever by how the different costumes are places in the various formations (such as the one sleeved lady in the middle being the most obvious) to create a visual balance. Otherwise, I like that they are style and colour coordinated (one colour, bare bellies and mostly bare arms/shoulders). As a side effect for the owner, a colour coordinated costume in a personal style is more versatile as it can be reused or resold without the tag of being a troupe costume. I also like that they have similar veils to to make them an entity in addition and in contrast of the white costumes.

In general I prefer theme and colour coordinated costumes OR similar costumes in different colours for groups to create a unity.
    Very different costumes in different styles and colours will need a choreography made for it and dancers being aware that they have to create this unity when dancing despite doing the same movements. So far, I haven't really seen this done successfully on stage yet.

One of my pet peeves is that if all wears the same costume, it is important to make sure it is a costume that will look good on everybody in the group, not just the tiny/slim dancers, but also the pears and apples, the long ones, the short ones and the hour glasses. It is a more complicated task than many think, particularly if there is a large variety of body shapes in the group and some have strong opinions about a costume they have fallen in love with because it will fit themselves perfectly.

A high score in innovativeness for costumes and manipulation of them.
    (Otherwise, no comments from me.)
    Last edited by Daimona; 10-05-2016 at 09:00 AM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Mushroom effect is a good description and, yes, they did look like they had bags over their heads. I would have also liked them better in different colors. Outside of that I kinda liked it BUT I think a couple of them nearly tripped on them. In the end it's innovative but impractical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    One of my pet peeves is that if all wears the same costume, it is important to make sure it is a costume that will look good on everybody in the group, not just the tiny/slim dancers, but also the pears and apples, the long ones, the short ones and the hour glasses. It is a more complicated task than many think, particularly if there is a large variety of body shapes in the group and some have strong opinions about a costume they have fallen in love with because it will fit themselves perfectly.
    WORD.

It is almost impossible to have one troupe costume that looks good on everybody - unless "everybody" is the same basic body type. And that doesn't even cover throwing a male into the mix - I *really* wouldn't look good in a bra...

Now with that said, one of the troupes I'm in has a couple of costumes that scale well and work well for everybody. Even my lack of a bra really isn't noticeable. But these cossies were invented by someone with MANY years experience who knew what she was doing! But in general, very similar, but customized for the individual, costumes seem to work best in most cases.

Then I have a pair of dance sisters who were in a troupe that used a "flower costume" that apparently looked good on exactly no-one - All I have to say is "Flower costume" to either of them to set off a tirade!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, at least the Flower Costume was nondiscriminatory.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, at least the Flower Costume was nondiscriminatory.
    I never saw this thing, but one of the two dance sisters in question is about a size F. Now picture strategically placed roses on this hot mess of a costume. She said that that was the LEAST of it!

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flower_costumes2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	10810

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was worse - I'll forward that pix to them and see what they say!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast