Hello! Perpetual beginner from Canada

lilya

Hi, I'm new to the forum... and it often feels like I'm quite new to bellydance, too. I started taking classes about four years ago - I had never danced before and I remember that it took me a few weeks to understand what the concept of shifting the weight was about... :)

I kept taking one or two series of classes every year since, but during this time my body and fitness level have changed quite a bit. As I was moving into my mid-thirties, I broke a wrist, gained a few dozen pounds and even if some elements and techniques seem to have stayed in my muscle memory, they look a little different from what I remembered them (oh, the extra reverb of the hips!).

I'm very glad to be here (and I do wonder what took me so long!). I love reading the forum - I've already noticed how easy it is to spend hours reading about the dance...

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
What Shanazel said. It doesn't matter what shape you are, or what kind of shape you're in, or how old you are -- you'll "get there"!!

lilya

Thank you, Shanazel and Zorba! My confidence level had gone down a few percent in the last couple of days (what with me busting a knee without a clear cause - I can't exclude overtraining recently), but knowing that I will enjoy this journey, yes, it is alright if it's a tad slower at times... :dance:

lilya

Thank you, Farasha and Mosaic! Sorry I vanished and replied so late... in part because it dawned upon me that I've been on a dance break for a few weeks... :(