Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never done Pilates either but my daughter greatly benefited from it. She has lower back scoliosis.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I watched a beginner class today on Datura (taught by Ashley Lopez - I followed her beginner yoga class once not long ago and liked her teaching style). Seems very effective. I'm very glad to hear it helped your daughter. My brother also has lumbar scoliosis and he was just telling me this morning that missing a couple of "back days" at the gym almost brings his spine back to square one. I'll tell him he must have a look-try at Pilates... and I'll do my "trying" part on Saturday.

In the meantime, belly dance tomorrow, first class after the knee issue started - I'm a little afraid of the figure 8 drills. Tonight I had Bollywood fusion class (beginner level, pretty intense for me but I can get away with much less twisting) and I felt like I was taking a lot more time than usual to think about the movements and how I drive them. I sort of knew that I rarely get as sore in the upper body/core as I do in the legs, but it seems like I'm connecting the dots much more acutely now.

Post Thanks / Like

I realized I have a few thoughts (or, as I hear sometimes from my family in Romania, "she has few ideas, but they're fixed") about the recovery process so far.

The lowest point was a couple of weeks ago when my right knee figured to join in the fun and I had a few days of constant pain around both kneecaps - that was quite scary and I kind of gave up going up/down any sort of stairs; if really needed, I can tackle stairs sideways. This is what I have been finding potentially helpful (I half-seriously thought about trying one at a time for the sake of a "clean" experiment but, oh, well):
    - physiotherapy - now weekly;
    - Ashley Lopez's Pilates beginner class on Datura, once or twice a week, with a bit of support from a couple of books (Joseph Pilates' "Return to Life through Contrology" - what a delightful writing style! - and "Ultimate Pilates" by Dreas Reyneke);
    - glucosamine-based supplement, daily;
    - swimming, twice a week (and practicing belly dance moves in the water is really fun!)
    - biking everywhere. I was feeling guilty about keeping my seat fairly low - almost every bike connoisseur my bike has seen felt the need to tell me that I need to be able to "fully extend" my legs when riding. That may be a little inaccurate and a little less ergonomic than still having a tiny bit of flexion at the bottom of the pedaling cycle - sort of a "bend your knees!"-quality to the angle of it, which is what I was doing right. What I was doing wrong was letting my knees slack outward/inward at times...).

Overall, feeling mostly well lately yet sort of fearing a falling back into my less mindful way of moving about...

Post Thanks / Like

Ashley Lopez is da bomb! If you have a chance to see her perform, by all means don't miss it. I was at a showcase once upon a time where she was called the "b-word" by the MC - in the most awed and loving sense of the word. Everybody in the hall, including the MC (an accomplished dancer), were just floored - she was incredible and did something very, very, very few dancers can:

You know how a some of the more flexible and fit dancers can do a backbend, and lower themselves to the floor in a Turkish fold? She did one better - maybe two better. First she did the lower down - S-L-O-W-L-Y. BUT - she never touched the floor with her shoulders, she was down in a Turkish fold, hovering a couple of inches above the floor, and if that wasn't awesome enough: THEN SHE CAME BACK UP!!!!! As in to standing position. The hall went nuts! There wasn't a soul there who didn't walk out a COMPLETE fan!!

I took one of her classes at this event - nice gal, great teacher. She has cool tats too!

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE her! I could just "see" in my mind what you described so, so well. I've been daydreaming for a while about seeing her perform live someday. She was in Bucharest for a TribalFest a few years ago, right before I went to visit. Boo me... I had been semi-lurking on Datura for a couple of years with a basic account (non-paid), watching teasers and reading the blog, and it was her recent choreo for "Viaje" that finally made me join. Then I saw "Twilight on the Nile" (teaser and full choreo student montage) and... that floorwork! I couldn't stop watching it over and over. Phenomenal dancer and as a teacher in the online classes I've watched/tried to do she comes across just as you said, genuinely nice and kind (I think I got that feeling from how much attention she seems to give to not causing or forcing the body through an injury; turns out she's actually trained in Stott Pilates for injuries and special populations).

I find that intricate upper back tattoo almost hypnotizing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12