Why Do you Belly Dance??

NewDancer77

Hi,

I Hope I'm posting in the correct section. Anyway, today I was my workout day with Mom we started with aerobics, weights, lower body and about an hour of belly dancing. Anyway, after our 3hr workout she and I started talking and I asked her why does she dance?? She gave me some really interesting answers! She told me that aside from it being a great workout, she really feels like a true natrual woman, she likes that it makes her feel sexy in a tasteful way, but also when she is performing and the people are clapping she gets a real rush from it!!

I Think for me I'm still discovering it. However, for me I would say I Love the movement and the freedom, I get from dancing. However, and I know this may sound tacky. I really feel like I'm connecting with my inner woman/feminine side.

Anyway, why do you dance??

Geoff

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
The short answer is, it makes me feel beautiful and alive. I also love the camaraderie.

Kashmir

I have always danced - not just belly dance. I love to immerse myself in the music. Belly dance gives a structure to that so it doesn't just become self indulgent. I also enjoy the intellectual challenge.

lilya

I found bellydance at about the same time as a few other forms of dance and/or movement, all within a year or so. I had just taken hip-hop, where I had noted with sadness that my movement looked a little too "wavy" - I seemed to be a very, very long way from that angular, bursts-of-energy look. Of course, the surprise I had when I started bellydance was of the exactly opposite kind.

Once I understood that I could move with some degree of coordination :), if something sounded like it could offer the chance of a learning journey, I'd try it: fencing, ballet, martial arts, Bollywood, soccer, burlesque... I'm chronically curious, with the downside/as a result? of being rather easily bored. I really wanted to learn how to swim, and I have successfully become the most rudimentary "swimmer" out there; since my bike is my most beloved possession and means of transportation, the one activity I tried to "get" the most was running - however, I eventually decided to abandon it forever: goodbye, triathlon.

Dancing was so different... and bellydance was the only thing resembling a constant, even over forced breaks. For the purpose meaning of "why", my goal was often to simply be able to come back to something close to the level of involvement before the most recent interruption, but I had not given a lot of thought to the reason, it just felt right. I was recently wondering what my long-term goals are/should be - I'm still not sure, other than to give both my brain and body a chance to enjoy and hopefully, someday, a means to express themselves (even if I may never become a better bellydancer than I am a swimmer :) ).

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
What Shanazel said. I do it because I can and I like it I guess.

Yea - and after you've been doing it for a number of years, it becomes that you do it not so much because you "can", but because you "must". The beat of the drum makes my hips twitch!

Ariadne

I have always danced - not just belly dance. I love to immerse myself in the music.

This. There is just something amazing about letting the music flow through my body and expressing how it makes me feel. I love dancing in general but belly dance gets me the closest to that feeling.

lilya

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170825124902.htm

"Exercise has the beneficial effect of slowing down or even counteracting age-related decline in mental and physical capacity," says Dr Kathrin Rehfeld, lead author of the study, based at the German center for Neurodegenerative Diseases, Magdeburg, Germany. "In this study, we show that two different types of physical exercise (dancing and endurance training) both increase the area of the brain that declines with age. In comparison, it was only dancing that lead to noticeable behavioral changes in terms of improved balance."

LibraRaqs

It makes me feel alive, resources are easy to find, and when I began learning there we no dance classes in my area--of ANY kind. So, being that belly dance is a dance form where partners are not necessary, and with plenty of instructional DVDs available, it was my only option at the time! Having since moved to a new town (that had been several years ago), I have taken belly dance, tango and salsa lessons--and bellydance is totally my favorite!