Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Your choice - but personally I don't see how moves are highlighted in a skirt. The moves are mostly in the hips. It's the belt that emphasises the movement.
    Correct - but a skirt hides a multitude of evils!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, dear. Now I'm wondering what evils you're hiding, Zorba.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Oh, dear. Now I'm wondering what evils you're hiding, Zorba.
    Snort! Hairy legs, for one!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's why we weren't allowed to wear them in class. Gotta see what's going on.

I am also not a fan of skirts for men. People WILL think you're crossdressing - because you are, there is no reason whatsoever for a man who is bellydancing to wear a skirt unless it's a specifically skirt dance - and you need to be cool with that.

As for "dresses", there's a better idea - a galabeya.

A former male student of mine used to wear crop tops and pants, with embellished belt. There are so many different pant styles you can choose!
    Last edited by Zumarrad; 11-29-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zumarrad View Post
    People WILL think you're crossdressing - because you are, there is no reason whatsoever for a man who is bellydancing to wear a skirt unless it's a specifically skirt dance - and you need to be cool with that.
    Those that think like this had better never condone pants on women.

Post Thanks / Like

With the exception of the kilt and lavalava, which are not exactly ten yard skirts, in which cultures do men wear long skirts, as opposed to long shirts/tunics/kaftans/galabeyas/wrapped garments that cover the upper body as well as the lower? In which cultures have women never worn pants? To what extent do these cultures resonate with Middle Eastern dance?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the point he's making (which, imho, is quite valid) is that dictating dress codes across genders perpetuates misogynistic ideals. And to answer your question, I cite the tanoura and the sarong:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tanoura&biw=1366&bih=610&source=lnms&tbm= isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7z8m5kM_QAhXHqJQKHaFbDokQ_AU IBigB

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tanoura&biw=1366&bih=610&source=lnms&tbm= isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7z8m5kM_QAhXHqJQKHaFbDokQ_AU IBigB#tbm=isch&q=sarong+men

Maybe it's time for us to stop thinking about dress codes in terms of gender lines and more in terms of practicality and personal preference?

Post Thanks / Like

Dictating dress codes across genders perpetuates misogynistic ideals? You lost me on that one.

Zummarad also has a valid point when she says people will think a male belly dancer in a skirt is cross dressing and that a person needs to be prepared for that. A guy who turns out in a chiffon skirt is making as definitive a statement as a woman who turns out in embellished trousers and an open vest over a bare chest. Guys in skirts are A-Okay nifty fine with me but at this point in social history, it is still a statement and not simply a costume choice.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

It's like a woman wearing pants. Shocking when we first started doing it, but people got over it. And yeah, it does perpetuate misogyny by implying that if you are a certain gender you aren't able to do/wear/act. It is one of those things that looks like it's misandry but it does perpetuate the mindset that gender lines shouldn't be crossed (a misogynist ideal). Which, if you are a card carrying feminist, should frankly be abhorrent.

There are plenty of examples of what we think of as belonging to one gender as having belonged to another. Men were originally the ones wearing high heels. Pink was a boy's colour. Trousers and skirts have been worn by either gender as far back as history goes. Just because something is currently thought to belong to one gender does not mean that it has always been so, nor that it always will be. <3

Post Thanks / Like

Darvisha gets it.

As for a skirt (on a guy) "making a statement", maybe it does. Art is *always* in the eye of the beholder, interpretation is *always* up to the audience! Myself, I just think they're pretty and add a lot to the dance; nothing more, nothing less. Well, and hide that above mentioned "multitude of evils"!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast