Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Male Dancer Costume

Hi all, I am a new dance brother and am part of a beginners dance group and we have a performance in the coming months. I am the only guy in the group and so my costume is going to me a problem. For rehearsals I wear t-shirts and leggings along with a hip scarf But for performance, everyone is supposed to be colour coordinated. I wonder what I should wear. Belly dance skirts and jewellery is fine with me but what do I replace the bra with? Any suggestions are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how much coverage you prefer, and what style you like.
    Look at other male dancers to get some ideas.

My favorite male dancers is DaVid of Scandinavia.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    It depends on how much coverage you prefer, and what style you like.
    Look at other male dancers to get some ideas.

My favorite male dancers is DaVid of Scandinavia.
    Oh this is great. Thanks. I think a short vest like his would be great because I want the waist to be visible for sure (have worked hard at it . Got to get it made I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, if you were in my class, I would not put you in a skirt (unless by preference you are a cross dresser in real life). And certainly NEVER any thing that looks even vaguely like a bra. My preference would be loose trousers, a belt and a vest.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at my links page - there are links to every male Belly Dancer in the world who has a website - and that I know about it. Take a look at what they're wearing, pick something you like.

I mainly wear vests, although I have the one costume inspired by male dancer "Raffa", which isn't a vest, and at the same time isn't something a woman would/could wear. There is a contingent who think male dancers should wear shirts, but I'm not one of them. I don't like the bare chested look either - although its the rage right now in eastern Europe. I avoid anything that remotely looks like a bra.

Skirts on the other hand, are completely unisex as far as I'm concerned - and they're a LOT of fun!

The other possibility is a dress - but dresses on males are problematic as they generally must be made to our male measurements, otherwise they end up just looking bad. And not all dress styles will work on guys. I have 2 dresses that were made specifically for me, and they look very nice, but they weren't cheap!

But whatever you decide, find something you like and that YOU are comfortable with - and ignore the rulebooks some would put onto you. And there certainly isn't anything wrong with a vest/belt/pantaloon combo - for either gender!
    Last edited by Zorba; 11-28-2016 at 02:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great reply Zorba. I have been looking aunt costumes. Skirts I am okay with. And I think a crop top would be great as showing my waist (I've worked hard on it) is important. Love your look as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Crop tops can work - I wear them for class, but they're too "modern" for *my* tastes as performance wear. DaVid, among others, is more into the contemporary look. But your costumes, like any other dancer's, will evolve over time.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. As of now, I am thinking of an embellished crop top ad skirt. I don't prefer pants and the moves are highlighted more in a skirt I believe and they are pretty unisex.

Post Thanks / Like

Most male dancers from the middle east wear either folkloric costumes based on traditional mens' clothing (e.g. galabeyya with hip scarf), or embellished trousers (most usually tight, lycra and slightly flared, or sometimes loose pantaloons) with a fitted top of some sort (vest, waistcoat, bolero...).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swirlicious View Post
    I agree. As of now, I am thinking of an embellished crop top ad skirt. I don't prefer pants and the moves are highlighted more in a skirt I believe and they are pretty unisex.
    Your choice - but personally I don't see how moves are highlighted in a skirt. The moves are mostly in the hips. It's the belt that emphasises the movement.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast