Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes please.

Post Thanks / Like

They're pretty easy - otherwise I wouldn't be able to make them!!

Let me draw something up, and come up with a blurb to go with it...

Post Thanks / Like

I finished my project just in time for Christmas. And just because it is red, here are some pictures.

So raglan sleeves and hood as well as pockets on the front. Zippers and velcro in the front and zippers under the sleeves for ventilation. Added some fun red and white dotted bias tape for some details both on the inside and as shown above.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks really good Diamona. Nice job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    That looks really good Diamona. Nice job.
    Thanks Ariadne.
    I still don't know if it fits the recipient, but I've added a "modification gift card" in case it doesn't fit properly or anything should be adjusted.
    Last edited by Daimona; 12-25-2016 at 08:23 AM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'm no artist - hopefully this make some sense!

This is how *I* make these, adjust for *your* preferences! Dimension "C" is the Circumference of your upper arm - PLUS seam allowance AND about another half inch or so. Dimension "L" is the Length from where you'll wear it on your upper arm to halfway down your forearm. Then add a couple of inches for the elastic casing.

The basic cutout is 2X the length - UNLESS you have "single sided" fabric and you want the inside of the fall to match the outside. In that case you need 3X the length.

I recommend edging the fabric using your favorite technique - small rolled hem, overcast stitch, or serge it like I do. Makes life a bit easier.

If you're doing the 3X total length, fold the end of the 3rd "L" length up to the border between the 1st and 2nd "L" lengths (wrong-sides together), and stitch down - including the edges edge to edge. Then seam up the 1st "L" length (inside out of course), roll over the casing allowance and sew it down, install 1/2" anti-roll elastic, then turn the whole thing right-side out. Note: If your fabric is fairly diaphanous (most of mine are), watch the elastic color and/or use narrower elastic! Oh, and I always use elastic of 3/4ers the length of "C" when slack.

Then apply sequins, beads, lace, or other edging of choice all around the edges as shown. You may or may not want to apply the same edging to the top end by the elastic casing as well. If you did the 3X fold over, the bottom end will be a fold and it might be easier to serge that first so that it has something to attach trim to.

Note: I do not start/end the edging in the end of the "V" by the seam - I make sure the edging crosses that seam for added strength and put the ends (of the edging) someplace else!

Questions welcome - I hope this makes sense as its the first time I've ever tried drawing something like this up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pattern.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	10860
    Last edited by Zorba; 12-27-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and here's the picture again since it wrapped around onto a previous page:

I've been wearing them slightly higher recently than shown here. Great for hiding my farmer's tan! The seam goes on TOP.
    Last edited by Zorba; 12-27-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Questions welcome - I hope this makes sense as its the first time I've ever tried drawing something like this up!
    Sounds good to me.

Have you tried adding beads to the hem with your serger?
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    Sounds good to me.

Have you tried adding beads to the hem with your serger?
    No, I overcast with a conventional sewing machine for that. Sounds scary to me to do it with a serger - my compliments to those who can!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    No, I overcast with a conventional sewing machine for that. Sounds scary to me to do it with a serger - my compliments to those who can!
    I've never tried. I've just started using my overlock and observed that it came with a beading foot and have seen pics online that it should be possible...
    --
    Daim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast