Sewing & Crafts: Projects

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I've never tried. I've just started using my overlock and observed that it came with a beading foot and have seen pics online that it should be possible...

Give it a try with some scrap and report back! Mine does not have a beading foot - just a plain and a rolled hem type.

Daimona

Give it a try with some scrap and report back! Mine does not have a beading foot - just a plain and a rolled hem type.

I will - when I figure out if I've got anything I need to bead... ;)

I'm being productive this Christmas and have finished another red project - a vest made from 18 (!) pieces of fabric plus a zipper.

Aniseteph

The red vest looks fabulous, love the way the collar sits. Nice.

Interesting about the loss of fabric/ haberdashery shops. We lost our local one recently when the owner retired. I always wondered how it survived; stock was erratic and very old-fashioned, so no great hopes that anyone will open another one... but then in Brighton, which is much more on trend than here, I've seen two new sewing shops. Dressmaking is on the up over here.

I'm redoing a boring jumper at the mo. It didn't fit quite right, at least not right enough to be practical, and the knitting is quite therapeutic. After that I have a bunch of patterns and a stash of fabric and an overlocker to wreak havoc with.

Daimona

The red vest looks fabulous, love the way the collar sits. Nice.

Thanks. :)

We only miss good fabric shops. The haberdashery shop was established in 1887(!) and is still active (thank God!). This is the only place in town (in addition to the sewing machine repair shop) where it is possible to find proper sewing thread and zippers.

Shanazel

Nobody sews much anymore - but quilting is an ongoing craze. A good craze, but a craze nonetheless. I don't claim to be much of a sewer myself, but I can get most simple things done albeit with some encouraging vocabulary!

You'd be surprised by the number of people who still sew. Wander on over to Pattern Review; we number in the hundreds of thousands on that site alone.

I'm working on a gift from my grandson to his mother right now: he painted a picture on counted canvas and I'm helping him with the needlepoint. As soon as it is done, I am starting on my antari embroidery. On my way home from vacation yesterday, I stopped in Cheyenne to visit the fabric store... if you can call it that. Abysmal selection of apparel fabric, mostly polyester blends. Not a favorite of mine to encase myself in knit and woven plastic. Once again, I thank goodness and what I fondly think of as foresight for my wonderful stash.