Sewing & Crafts: Projects

Ariadne

A number of us make our own BD costumes etc but the forum members talents don't end there! No indeed. There are other crafts and sewing projects to be found in our midst.

On this thread we can;
  • share ongoing projects
    • seek advice from other members.
    • (and/or) show off a little.
  • Share finished projects
    • "whew, it's done!"
  • Brainstorm with other members
    • looking for suggestions.
    • just mentioning an idea that came to you.
  • Talk about past projects
    • finished or unfinished.
  • Etc etc...

Anything and everything is welcome. Be creative!

Ariadne

To begin with...

A winter coat as inspired by Daimona.

To be honest this has been percolating in the back of my head for a while now but I couldn't come up with a good reason to do it until Diamona suggested I make my own winter coat so here goes.

On Sunday I came up with the design I'm looking at:
WinterCoat.jpg
It's just a sketch but it's a start.

Step two is to flat pattern it. I need to decide whether to adjust an existing pattern, start from scratch with a new base template based on my body, or create a draped pattern cut to fit.

After that I have to decide on the fabric. I'm waffling between using water resistant fabric to begin with and buying some gorgeous brocade and treating it after it's finished to be water resistant.

Daimona

A winter coat as inspired by Daimona.

Yay! I'm honored!

After that I have to decide on the fabric. I'm waffling between using water resistant fabric to begin with and buying some gorgeous brocade and treating it after it's finished to be water resistant.

Do you plan to line it to make it warmer, or just wind/water repellant and dress in layers beneath it?

I would probably make your design in thick woolen fabric (made water repellant with lanolin), possibly lined with (false) fur by the openings. But of course, you choose the fabrics that suits you and your style.

I'm currently making a hooded sport jacket with raglan sleeves for a friend (Christmas present). I just need to hem it and mount the pockets and it is done.
I have made one previously for my mother and could reuse most of the pattern pieces (made from scratch for my mother) with a few modifications. Originally I planned to make the second one for myself, but a visit from my friend this summer gave me the idea of making it for her instead (although I didn't start to work on it until December). I just needed to supply with three red zippers, some bias tape and some velcro and used it asa good excuse to learn how to use my new overlock sewing machine.

Last edited:

Ariadne

Do you plan to line it to make it warmer, or just wind/water repellant and dress in layers beneath it?

I'm seriously toying with the idea of a removable liner so I can use it nearly year round.

Wool isn't a bad idea. I'll have to see what the fabric store has when I get to that point. (There isn't the widest selection here.)

Shanazel

We have NO fabric selection here because we have NO fabric stores that sell anything but quilting cotton. The only fabric store in town closed in June and the closest store is a good three hours away. Thank goodness for the years I spent building a decent stash!

I am planning an antari in Yemenite style with traditional embroidery; this will be for a couple of presentations I'm doing on Yemenite Jewish embroidery in January an February. The dress will be of black linen/cotton with colored #8 pearl cotton. I wanted to take it along to work on during this trip but didn't have time to lay and mark out the bodice to be embroidered. I'm taking an embroidery my almost (on December 23!) 7 year old grandson and I are doing for his mom. He drew and painted the canvas and is working on the embroidery as well. I agreed to help with the stitching since he wants to give it to her during our twelfth night celebration in January.

Yeah, at 0800 tomorrow morning, I leave for over a week. Am I packed? No, but I have a list. Are my clothes clean? Yes, and they should come out of the drier soon. I'll fold and pack at the same time. I'm only taking a backpack and my larger handbag so I can't get too carried away.

Daimona

I'm seriously toying with the idea of a removable liner so I can use it nearly year round.

That sounds like quite a challenge. Making two coats, where one would fit into the other.
But from another point of view, not too bad if you need to clean or repair one of the layers. :)
I'm sure you'll think of something clever.

Wool isn't a bad idea. I'll have to see what the fabric store has when I get to that point. (There isn't the widest selection here.)

I know that feeling.
I bought a lot of fabric (at least relative to my economy back then) when the good fabric stores around here closed (2002 and 2009 iirc). Since then we've only had one shop if we need something else than quilting cotton. If I go there without a shopping list for a specific project, I usually get sad and loose interest rather than get new ideas.

Ariadne

Ok, this is just getting wierd. We only have one store that carries more then quilting cotton as well and even that one has a sizable space dedicated to it. If it ever closed we'd be in the same position as you Shanazel, having to drive 2hours to Las Vegas to get anything. Has sewing died out that badly world wide or is quilting just that much more profitable?

That sounds like quite a challenge. Making two coats, where one would fit into the other.
But from another point of view, not too bad if you need to clean or repair one of the layers. :)

I figure I can use the lining pattern as a basis and it gives me more options for quilting without affecting the outside layer. Just keep it simple and use small buttons to attach it in. Come to think of it it would be like making a gambeson. :think: Inside pockets or no inside pockets. Hmmm....

Daimona

I figure I can use the lining pattern as a basis and it gives me more options for quilting without affecting the outside layer. Just keep it simple and use small buttons to attach it in. Come to think of it it would be like making a gambeson. :think: Inside pockets or no inside pockets. Hmmm....

:lol: The thought occured to me too. Gambesons don't have pockets, do they? ;)
But I love pockets, so I vote for inside pockets.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Has sewing died out that badly world wide or is quilting just that much more profitable?
Nobody sews much anymore - but quilting is an ongoing craze. A good craze, but a craze nonetheless. I don't claim to be much of a sewer myself, but I can get most simple things done albeit with some encouraging vocabulary!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
They're pretty easy - otherwise I wouldn't be able to make them!!

Let me draw something up, and come up with a blurb to go with it...

Daimona

I finished my project just in time for Christmas. And just because it is red, here are some pictures.

So raglan sleeves and hood as well as pockets on the front. Zippers and velcro in the front and zippers under the sleeves for ventilation. Added some fun red and white dotted bias tape for some details both on the inside and as shown above.

Daimona

That looks really good Diamona. Nice job. :clap:

Thanks Ariadne. :D
I still don't know if it fits the recipient, but I've added a "modification gift card" in case it doesn't fit properly or anything should be adjusted. ;)

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"

Ok, I'm no artist - hopefully this make some sense!

This is how *I* make these, adjust for *your* preferences! Dimension "C" is the Circumference of your upper arm - PLUS seam allowance AND about another half inch or so. Dimension "L" is the Length from where you'll wear it on your upper arm to halfway down your forearm. Then add a couple of inches for the elastic casing.

The basic cutout is 2X the length - UNLESS you have "single sided" fabric and you want the inside of the fall to match the outside. In that case you need 3X the length.

I recommend edging the fabric using your favorite technique - small rolled hem, overcast stitch, or serge it like I do. Makes life a bit easier.

If you're doing the 3X total length, fold the end of the 3rd "L" length up to the border between the 1st and 2nd "L" lengths (wrong-sides together), and stitch down - including the edges edge to edge. Then seam up the 1st "L" length (inside out of course), roll over the casing allowance and sew it down, install 1/2" anti-roll elastic, then turn the whole thing right-side out. Note: If your fabric is fairly diaphanous (most of mine are), watch the elastic color and/or use narrower elastic! Oh, and I always use elastic of 3/4ers the length of "C" when slack.

Then apply sequins, beads, lace, or other edging of choice all around the edges as shown. You may or may not want to apply the same edging to the top end by the elastic casing as well. If you did the 3X fold over, the bottom end will be a fold and it might be easier to serge that first so that it has something to attach trim to.

Note: I do not start/end the edging in the end of the "V" by the seam - I make sure the edging crosses that seam for added strength and put the ends (of the edging) someplace else!

Questions welcome - I hope this makes sense as its the first time I've ever tried drawing something like this up!

pattern.jpg

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Oh, and here's the picture again since it wrapped around onto a previous page:

I've been wearing them slightly higher recently than shown here. Great for hiding my farmer's tan! The seam goes on TOP.

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Sounds good to me.

Have you tried adding beads to the hem with your serger?

No, I overcast with a conventional sewing machine for that. Sounds scary to me to do it with a serger - my compliments to those who can!

Daimona

No, I overcast with a conventional sewing machine for that. Sounds scary to me to do it with a serger - my compliments to those who can!

I've never tried. I've just started using my overlock and observed that it came with a beading foot and have seen pics online that it should be possible...