Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How To Identify Music?

This may be a shot in the dark, but it can't hurt to ask. When I first started dancing, I purchased a student CD from my teacher to practice the choreography at home. I also planned to put the tracks on my mp3 player so I could have better access to the music (because the CD player in my car doesn't like to work). However, my OCD gets the better of me here because the files have no metadata. Therefore I don't know the song titles or who performed them. I don't put anything on my mp3 player without meticulously filling out the metadata myself and making sure everything is correct. I keep my music very organized. I have tried playing the tracks and using Sony's TrackID app to identify the songs (it usually does well, even with foreign music), but it can't tell me anything. A few tracks have lyrics, but the rest are instrumentals. Does anyone know any other way I could identify this music?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an answer but I certainly admire the question.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about temporarily uploading the files here to see if anyone could listen to them and tell me if they know what they are. But I don't know how to upload a sound file for preview on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah.. the classic challenge of no-title-of-music-for-practice-compilations.
    You're not the first one to search for music IDs on this forum (and probably not the last as long as those making these compilations continues to ditch the data and metadata).

If you don't have a large archive of music, ask someone for help.
    I did it some years ago, and got a lot of help here. I only posted 30s of each song (or so) and removed the file & edited the post (including replacing the link) as soon as I knew the title & artist. Anything you may have of information may help in the search, even if it is just the length of the original song.

You cannot upload audio files to the forum, but if you find somewhere else to upload them temporarily you can post a link to them here.

As a side-note to the search of song IDs - I'm fascinated of how some teachers always stress that their students should give credit when using their choreographies, but forget to give the same credit to those artists and composers they build their art work upon themselves. But this is a topic for a separate thread, not this thread.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link! I'll give that a try. As for editing my sound files, my laptop is old and the only program that I have on it that could have done that is a video editor that crashes every time I try to save, so I won't be able to clip the songs. I'll look for something light to download that my laptop can handle and try seeing if my google drive can host the files until I no longer need them. Thanks for your suggestion!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Winged-Scarab View Post
    Thanks for the link! I'll give that a try. As for editing my sound files, my laptop is old and the only program that I have on it that could have done that is a video editor that crashes every time I try to save, so I won't be able to clip the songs. I'll look for something light to download that my laptop can handle and try seeing if my google drive can host the files until I no longer need them. Thanks for your suggestion!
    See this thread for links to audio editing software: http://bellydanceforums.net/threads/...iting-software
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to love those Name This Song threads back in the olden days. Bring it on....

Post Thanks / Like

One word - Shazam

Post Thanks / Like

Shazam is great for anything that's part of the mainstream music economy (so, most Arabic pop etc), but it won't pick up stuff from CDs self-produced by dancers. But at least if Shazam won't ID it, that tells you it may be from a self-produced CD, which may be useful info in itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast