What's up?

Daimona

What have you guys been up to lately?

Anything exciting happening dancewise in your communities in the near future?

Suzanne Azhaar

Currently, exploring /guessing how haberdashers of the 70's sewed bra and belt sets. :think: No expectations or upcoming events. Just enjoying pushing needle and thread through fabric. Will post pics when the belt is done.

lilya

So... I went to my first workshop (actually three first workshops) - Aziza was coming to town! It was amazing, Aziza comes across as an incredible person, dancer and teacher.

I had never even been to a two-hour class/workshop before, so I was quite worried about that. When the weekend first went on sale a few months ago, my knees were starting to act up so I was too afraid of injuring them further (and honestly not confident enough even if I had been in full health), to try to get a ticket. I did brace the worst knee (and really grazed my skin on the other one with the brace :)), but all was more than good, it was great! Hats off to my wonderful teacher, Darshiva <3, not just for the way she keeps motivating this very easily self-discouraged student to not be scared of trying, but for how the class does some sort of magic on my knees and the day after class is typically the feel-best day for them, so I've began to trust not just dancing again, but myself...

Last edited:

Ariadne

Anything exciting happening dancewise in your communities in the near future?[/QUOTE said:
Not so far as I know. This area has pretty much dried up where BD is concerned. The few teachers we had either moved or retired from teaching due to "life". The closest dance community to here is probably Las Vegas right now.

I love hearing about what is happening elsewhere though. :)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
So... I went to my first workshop (actually three first workshops) - Aziza was coming to town! It was amazing, Aziza comes across as an incredible person, dancer and teacher.
I took a workshop from her years back - and you're right: She's amazing!!!

I wonder if she still has that bright red silk veil I threatened to steal. :lol:

Aniseteph

Just been to the wonderful Shimmy by the Sea weekend near Hastings, which is small and friendly and always inspiring (the weekend that is... I have no data on Hastings). It is almost as if i am getting my belly dance mojo back. Bit of belly dance networking - are belly dancers interetesting folks or what? - mild geekery (not enough time!), lovely. There are several workshops coming up locally; things seem to be ticking along ok round here.

lilya

I took a workshop from her years back - and you're right: She's amazing!!!

I wonder if she still has that bright red silk veil I threatened to steal. :lol:
Couldn't help but wonder - shhh - if you succeeded, because she had a bright teal one this time!

Later edit: I was just watching this and remembered the red veil! :) Now I fully understand! Sorry if it's already been posted elsewhere in the forums.

Aziza magic.
[video=youtube;tByO7QxJJ54]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tByO7QxJJ54[/video]

Last edited:

Ariadne

He is one of the few male dancers (that haven't died or retired!) that I really respect. He has that same transcending-of-gender quality that I try for. I'm glad he came out of retirement.
I hadn't realized he had come out of retirement. He was one of the first BDancers I ever saw!

<- Will be spending time on youtube looking for new performances.

Roshanna

What have you guys been up to lately?

Anything exciting happening dancewise in your communities in the near future?

Things are just sort of ticking over, really. I haven't been able to get to (or teach) any weekly classes for the last year and a bit, and I really miss them, but I have been going into London quite a bit for semi-regular workshops with live music (some with Melanie Norman & the Arab Quarter band, and some with Guy Schalom & the Baladi Blues Ensemble). I really enjoy those, but struggle to motivate myself to dance much in between at the moment because of the way Real Life stuff is, & being in an area where I've struggled to feel part of the dance community.

But I'm flying out to Norway to teach some workshops there in a couple of weeks (the first time I've taught in over a year apart from private lessons, so I'm a bit nervous, & the whole thing was rejigged at short notice because our lovely drummer has been unwell and is no longer able to come), and am scheduled to perform at the Arab Quarterly show in May, which should be a good invigorating kick up the bum :D

Aaaaand... I haven't told many people this yet IRL, but my partner just got offered a job in Manchester, a city with a MUCH more active bellydance scene & classes & restaurant work opportunities, & within easy travelling distance of lots of other places with really good dance scenes & the Jewel of Yorkshire festival etc... So we'll be moving there this Summer, and from a bellydance perspective things are suddenly looking up!

Roshanna

Just been to the wonderful Shimmy by the Sea weekend near Hastings, which is small and friendly and always inspiring (the weekend that is... I have no data on Hastings). It is almost as if i am getting my belly dance mojo back. Bit of belly dance networking - are belly dancers interetesting folks or what? - mild geekery (not enough time!), lovely. There are several workshops coming up locally; things seem to be ticking along ok round here.

SBTS is a really nice festival - the one time I went I didn't really know anyone except my chalet-mate (who I also didn't know all that well but at least had met before!), but everyone was really welcoming and I have happy memories of it.
And I'm glad to hear you're getting your mojo back - long may it continue :)

Darshiva

I had the joy of finding out the actual name (and a film clip of the original version) of a song I've had & loved for like 10 years. I haven't used it because my cd said it was called baghdad and I thought it was a political song. Film clip says otherwise - it looks like your typical romantic balad to me.

[video=youtube;UdxZA64rm_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdxZA64rm_M[/video]