Nejma and her Crcchet Costume in Toronto-Ne Egyptian Chick Mag out for Feb

azizaaltawil

Happy Valentine's Day a few days early! The new "Egyptian Chick Magazine" is out for February. Nejma and her Crochet Costume in Toronto, the "Mystery Belly Dancer" with William Shatner in 1974 and other topics like Dabke around the world and Armenian museum honor. Copy and paste this link to find magazine: https://egyptianchick.com/2017/02/09/egyptian-chick-magazine-february-2017/February 2017 Egyptian Chick Magazine Cover 2.jpg

This link worked for the mag directly this time. I fixed it.

Last edited:
I've been looking for dresses recently and am stunned at the number of see-through costumes out there - crochet or lace or mesh. Seems like the current fashion is to show your undies. Whatever happened to belly dancers being elegant and more dressed than at the beach?

The following photos are good examples. I love the first one and wish I could find out where to buy it (it's on Pinterest). However as a fatty, I'd be putting a skirt or very long shorts under.

The second one is for sale but there is NO WAY I'm wearing that!
beledi dress.jpgnaked dress.jpg

Last edited:

Darshiva

That reminds me off this show Amulya and I went to in Melbourne where one of the dancers wore a similar costume. Her choice is her own, however I was constantly worried about an undie flash so I don't remember her dancing at all! Definitely not for me!

Daimona

It has been a part of fashion for some time. Big stars pushing limits of what they can do, not so famous dancers follow and says it is THE THING.

An Egyptian friend of mine wore one of those see-through saidi costumes a decade ago, just shortly after Randa Kamel (her idol) did something similar.
I told her in advance that the local audience wasn't ready for it, even if she had proper short pants covering her buttocks under, and now matter how well my friend danced (she is very good with saidi), all I could heard from the audience was as the gasping about the costume.

Some time later I saw another "dancer" (this wasn't even a 6-week-wonder, and thought sexy wiggling was all it was about - her real aspirations ws being a glamour model) wearing a similar costume - without the undies.

Personally, I'm not interested in seen the dancer's undies (unless the rest of the costume is makes me wonder if there are undies or not) and certainly wouldn't wear it myself because I'm even less interested in letting someone else seeing my undies.

I like that one too! In fact that's what got me on the search - I picked up a lace Baladi dress at a jumble sale and thought, this is a contradiction in terms - it's a traditional non-stretch, loose style which is usually so modest, but it's see-through black lace with a gold thread through it.

Anyway, I assumed there must've been an under-dress at some point, so I went looking - and discovered it's pretty common, and most people just seem to wear a bra and shorts under it.

With my thighs, I'm not going to wear shorts, I'm thinking of a gold underskirt and gold bra.

Daimona

I'm not going to wear shorts, I'm thinking of a gold underskirt and gold bra.

Sounds like good plan. I had .. err.. I have.. a nearly see-through dress and made myself a simple slim dress to wear under it before I started using it on stage.

Shanazel

I once spent an entire performance wondering (out of professional interest, of course) if the dancer was wearing underwear. After due diligence, observation, and consideration, I decided she was wearing a g-string. Maybe. How was the dance? Ummm. I don't recall. Was too busy waiting for her skirt to fall off and wondering how she'd deal with the resulting costume malfunction.

She was a really nice person and a great teacher. How would she feel now to know all I remember of her as a dancer has to do with her managing to keep the costume on?

Jeanne

I have a few costume dresses that are too see-through not to wear something underneath, and the idea I've come up with for that is a leggings ensemble. I got a pair of silver metallic leggings from Discount Dance Supply and a matching top -- perfect under a too-thin baladi dress I have that is basically made of two Lurex scarves sewn together. I also have a gold pair that I got to go with something that had too-high slits on the side, but I don't have a matching top for them yet.

Daimona

I have a few costume dresses that are too see-through not to wear something underneath, and the idea I've come up with for that is a leggings ensemble. I got a pair of silver metallic leggings from Discount Dance Supply and a matching top -- perfect under a too-thin baladi dress I have that is basically made of two Lurex scarves sewn together. I also have a gold pair that I got to go with something that had too-high slits on the side, but I don't have a matching top for them yet.

Mm.. yes, leggings and top underneath sounds good. Have you searched for matching fabric to make a top? :)

Jeanne

Mm.. yes, leggings and top underneath sounds good. Have you searched for matching fabric to make a top? :)

No, I haven't (and my sewing projects have about a year's worth of backlog :rolleyes:), but if I can find some kind of stretch lamé, that would certainly work.

Jeanne

Found some here for you (in just 15 seconds):
http://spandexhouse.com/products.php?navId=94&navName=Lame′
(II have no idea about your budget, but you could probably find something closer as well - and I know all about backlog of various project...)
"Spandex House" -- you gotta love that.

There might be some available at one of the local fabric stores. Won't need a lot of fabric for just a simple top. Might be worth pursuing when when I can find a few hours to work on something. ;)