Hand Sewing Resources

I've struggled with sewing machines on and off for years and finally gave up - I lost the pedal of my machine when I moved and didn't feel up to the struggle of finding a replacement. I did some hand sewing recently and liked how it looked, and how it felt to my brain. I realize that it takes a long time to get the results you want, but I'm ok with that.
I've looked at Sparkly Belly, Shushanna's website and The Costume Goddess. But what I'd like is more general and basic resources for learning how to sew by hand. What are the online classes and books you would recommend for learning how to hand sew? My mother is a master sewist and can correct me when needed - but is too busy to teach me comprehensively, and local sewing classes tend to be pricey.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I completely detest hand sewing - but sometimes there's no substitute - so I too would be interested in resources for same.

Shanazel

Brava, Sajia! I adore hand sewing and have been doing it since the Eisenhower administration (seriously, I was four when my grandmother first threaded a needle for me).

My all time favorite basic sewing book is the Simplicity Sewing Book. I have the 1969 edition and just took it out recently to look something up. There are newer versions but none are cooler and you can get it for a buck on Amazon. ;) https://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Sewing-Book-Pattern-Co/dp/0918178177

Also

http://sewsitall.blogspot.com/2010/10/hand-sewing-basic-stitches.html

And Threads magazine's web site has some good videos as well.

Shanazel

You're welcome. It was the first sewing book I ever bought and is still one of the best basics around. The cool fashions alone make it worth a buck!

Ariadne

Thanks. I totally stink at hand sewing. Maybe I'll take a look and see if I can fix that.

Suzanne Azhaar

Some costuming pieces benefit from hand sewing. Delicate fabrics that run, multi fabric layers too thick to put on machines, intricate bead work on waist line elastic areas, all prime projects for hand sewing. Recommend a good television series or music to listen to, fresh needles thin enough to make it through beads, and thread strong enough to penetrate fabric and take the weight of beads long term.

I've hand sewn costumes. Yes, there have been a few tragic outcomes, but I've learned from each disaster and moved on.

Happy sewing everyone,
S

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Thanks. I totally stink at hand sewing. Maybe I'll take a look and see if I can fix that.

That's why I machine sew if at all possible. If not, I form a committee of one, elect myself chairman, and appoint someone else to do it! :lol:

I've sewed all kinds of stuff on a machine that others have said couldn't be done - including Zill elastics!

But I can't always weasel out of it, so I ordered the simplicity book.