Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hand Sewing Resources

I've struggled with sewing machines on and off for years and finally gave up - I lost the pedal of my machine when I moved and didn't feel up to the struggle of finding a replacement. I did some hand sewing recently and liked how it looked, and how it felt to my brain. I realize that it takes a long time to get the results you want, but I'm ok with that.
    I've looked at Sparkly Belly, Shushanna's website and The Costume Goddess. But what I'd like is more general and basic resources for learning how to sew by hand. What are the online classes and books you would recommend for learning how to hand sew? My mother is a master sewist and can correct me when needed - but is too busy to teach me comprehensively, and local sewing classes tend to be pricey.

Post Thanks / Like

I completely detest hand sewing - but sometimes there's no substitute - so I too would be interested in resources for same.

Post Thanks / Like

Brava, Sajia! I adore hand sewing and have been doing it since the Eisenhower administration (seriously, I was four when my grandmother first threaded a needle for me).

My all time favorite basic sewing book is the Simplicity Sewing Book. I have the 1969 edition and just took it out recently to look something up. There are newer versions but none are cooler and you can get it for a buck on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Se.../dp/0918178177

Also

http://sewsitall.blogspot.com/2010/1...-stitches.html

And Threads magazine's web site has some good videos as well.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I'll pick it up when I have a chance, and check out the other websites right away.

Post Thanks / Like

A really good general sewing site is Pattern Review. If you can't find what you want there, ask on the forum and someone will find it for you. https://sewing.patternreview.com/
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Simplicity book ordered! Thanx for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. It was the first sewing book I ever bought and is still one of the best basics around. The cool fashions alone make it worth a buck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I totally stink at hand sewing. Maybe I'll take a look and see if I can fix that.

Post Thanks / Like

It just takes practice. Doncha HATE it when someone tells you that?

Post Thanks / Like

Every time. So do my kids when I tell them the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast